Your photo is a great way for people to "meet" and recognize you in person. You can upload up to four photos that people can see when they visit your profile. Your avatar lets community members quickly associate your comments and status updates with a simple visual cue.
To upload a photo and set your avatar:
- Click on your name in the upper right corner. Your profile page opens.
- In the Actions list on Bio tab, click the Change photo & avatar link.
- To add a photo, click the Add photo link at the bottom of the first box under the Profile Photos heading on the left.
- Browse to a photo on your computer that you'd like to upload.
- Click the Upload & Continue button.
- If you'd like to crop your photo, drag the handles to select the portion of the photo you want to show, then drag the box to position your selection. Click the Crop Photo button.
- You can update your avatar with this photo by clicking "Add another avatar" and choosing a square of the photo to use as your avatar.
- Click Finish. Your photo now appears in your photos and in the avatar section to the right.
- You can upload up to four photos. The photo marked 1 is your primary photo and will appear on top when someone visits your profile. Drag a photo from one of the other boxes to make that photo your primary photo. Your other photos will appear underneath your primary photo.
- You can upload your own custom avatars, or choose from the avatars provided. Click on the avatar that you want to appear next to content you create or participate on. A highlighted box around an avatar indicates that it is selected as your avatar.
- Click Finished to set your photos and avatar and return to your profile page.
Next lesson: Changing your privacy settings