6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 6:42 PM by Douglas Cook RSS

Migrating from Legacy to Ariba Contract Management

Tridip Chakraborthy Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

We would be starting to work on a project to move Legacy Contract Data from SAP Sourcing to Ariba Contracts

Are there some best practices to follow for this

Most importantly, wanted to know, if there are any tools inside Ariba that help make the Legacy to Ariba Transformation easier

Any inputs will be highly appreciated

Cheers

Tridip

@tridipchakra on twitter

• Re: Migrating from Legacy to Ariba Contract Management
    Sharon Horton, PMP Ariba Contributor

Ah, there is so much to this question!!!  Ok, let me see if I can get most of it out:

Tools:  There is a manual in the Help section under Administration that covers Contract Import.  There is also a .zip file with the 4 files you need for the load:  contract data, documents, team members and then the load parameters.  This last is available either from your deployment project manager or technical support.  It might be available on-line as well.

Best practices: 

The template you use in your load will have the tasks (like for amendments), documents and team members that will typically last for the duration of the contract's life.  If you want tasks, particularly approvals associated with amendments, you should make sure that the legacy load template has your process embedded. 

Unlike the supplier load, which can be run multiple times adding and correcting data, the legacy load can only be run once for each contract.  Make sure you assemble all of the data and documents for the workspace before you do the load.

Review what data you want to load.  There are only certain Ariba required fields. Are you configuring required custom fields?  Do these need to be in the load template?  If not, what happens when someone amends the contract?  Will they need to fill in these fields?

It is recommended that you load your most active contracts first, then go back and build your repository of older contracts and, probably not even bother with contracts that have been closed for more than a couple of years.  Some customers load the most important contracts in draft status so their content can be reviewed before publishing.

Decide on an amendment process.  "Amendment" can mean:  1. editing attributes; 2. changes to language content; 3. changes to the value of the contract (either change order or by renewing); 4. Change orders or SOWs.  Ariba can support several approaches, but consistency is preferred.  Then when you load your contracts, you should be consistent with your chosen approach. 

So, I hope all of this helps. 

Hi Sharon

Thanks for taking the time for the detailed explanation, though the ideal approach is still left to the folks migrating from the legacy platform to Ariba

However, the information that you have given is great to understand from a strategy perspective, as to what direction we need to be thinking

Also wanted to put in a follow-up note on any possibility of a Web-service based data consumption ability that leverages any internal Ariba ETL capability? if this is possible and has been done and not mere philosophy would be great to hear and share on the exchange

Cheers and thanks again for chipping in

Tridip

Sharon Horton, PMP Ariba Contributor

You are right that a migration team might take an alternate approach.  The legacy load usually assumes the contracts are either still in paper form or perhaps coming from another system in Excel spreadsheets and also that there's no actual integration services.  A recent customer uses Ariba contracts as the data and document repository and for approvals and SAP.  The customer is in the process of automating an integration between the 2 systems using web services.  Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise and so I can't give you too much information.  There is an integration manual in the Help section under Administration that discusses integration but I don't think it is too detailed. 

Mark Willner Ariba Employee

The first thing that comes to mind is the manual migration process contained in the zip file the responder Sharon Horton mentioned.  The other option would be to leverage the contract workspace import and document import web services.  If this is a one time thing, I'd recommend they go with the manual process but if they are interested in live integrations from SAP moving forward they could build up the contract web services and call them to pull in their historical data and then leverage those same interfaces moving forward.

Hi Mark, thanks a lot for giving the dope on the webservices approach, if I ever get to use that and build the solution, would definately Xchange it on Xchange

Cheers and thanks to all for collaborating on this thread

Cheers

Tridip

Douglas Cook Novice

Tridip, I might suggest an out of the box solution, for purposes of time, accuracy, and its integration with Ariba, the use of Seal Discovery, which will take the manual process out of locating and finding all contracts, including legacy, and bringing them into a single repository which our process will take days, where as the manual process can take much longer.  In addition to gathering the contracts, Seal cDiscovery, Migration and Analytics will extract all metadata to allow for all contracts, regardless of file format, be converted into a PDF and separates by the 50+ different templates and now become searchable and provide alerts.  Ariba is a partner with Seal.  If you want to discuss things in more detail, I can be reached at doug.cook@seal-software.com.

Our software addresses three key challenges with regard to a procurement driven CLM deployment.  1 - the software can locate legacy and current contracts throughout an organizations IT infrastructure. This ensures that the target CLM system is complete with all contracts.  2 - we render all the contracts fully searchable. This improves the search capability in the CLM system of our customers. Including Ariba  3- the software extracts more than 50 key pieces of information automatically from those contracts. This data can then be reviewed and migrated to the Ariba solution. This avoids the fully manual process in place today that often introduces inaccurate and incomplete data and ensures the reporting and alerting are reliable.  In our previous exchanges with Inna we felt that Manulife faced some of these challenges but we have been unable to secure any further discussion.   I would certainly be very grateful, if you believe further discussion beneficial, an introduction to your relevant colleagues.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 4 points