12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 3:50 AM by researchscholar007 RSS

Ariba Easter Eggs - This thread is my 'Discovery' of Ariba P2O - On-Demand - Similar challenges most of the newbies would face

researchscholar007 Expert
Currently Being Moderated

When i was new to Ariba, i was running from Pillar-to-Post to find out information about Ariba. Now with some self-exploration, i have found some interesting and perhaps 'UNDOCUMENTED ' points about Ariba

Watch this space, i will keep adding more and more information as i discover

Feel free to add your easter eggs:)

• Re: Ariba Easter Eggs - This thread is my 'Discovery' of Ariba P2O - On-Demand - Similar challenges most of the newbies would face

Vendor Blocking

Those who come from SAP background would miss this functionality in Ariba. Ariba offers only 'Delete' function.  If a supplier is blocked, a custom modification is to be performed in Ariba provided extraction program - ZARIBA_SSP_MASTER_DATA_PULL.

1. Ariba Data Dictionary do not provide the files for supplier delete. For deleting the supplier, you need to put ‘delete’ word.

Important-

If you miss this, you might end up wasting few hours figuring out, why the files are not getting loaded.

2. The naming convention for the delete files have inconsistencies when they are loaded individually, as single manual upload, and as a .zip file as uploading together.

For .zip upload:  supplierIDs_Delete.csv and SupplierOrganisations_Delete

For Manual upload:  supplierID_Delete.csv and SupplierOrganisation_Delete

Note :

the ‘s’ is not there in file name in case of manual upload

Message was edited by: Rahul Joshi Important innformation added to vendor delete thread

• Re: Ariba Easter Eggs - This thread is my 'Discovery' of Ariba P2O - On-Demand - Similar challenges most of the newbies would face

Ariba Provided Extraction Program ZARIBA_SSP_MASTER_DATA_PULL

This program needs a review from Ariba side. This is not 'Plug-n-Play extraction. A significant time is to be invested to modify the extracted files.

MACRO Level Important shortcoming/Limitation of the program:

Selection screen facility do not exist:

First and main shortcoming of this program is , it download ALL the information in the system. eg: if the program is executed for say G/L account, this would extract ALL the G/L accounts. For those who are from SAP background, you would miss the 'selection screen' functionality, where one can choose only selected company codes, or only selected G/L accounts ( same applies for company codes, plants, suppliers and so on)

Adjustments are to be done using  ZARIBTVARV / TVARVC tables, which is not actually a self intuitive.

Documentation :

At SE38, this program offers no documentation at all.

MICRO level Shortcomings:

Multiple problems exist in this extraction program

1. some of the extracts do not fetch all the columns mentioned in the data dictionary and some of the columns fetched by this program do not exist in Data dictionary

2. Some files which are generated with this extraction program, do not fetch correct value for the column heading. eg: for column BUKRS - company code, the program fetches Chart of Accounts /Controlling area as information in extraction

3. Some of the checkboxes extract 'multiple files'  as a result, there are 17 selection checkboxes for th program but the extracted files are more than 17. This is confusing to the new user.

Ariba do not support 'Storage Location' functionality from SAP. So if there i a business requirement to enter a storage location address for the plant as a delivery address, special efforts are to be invested to enable this as a custom functionality.

Standard Ariba do no have a 'Relational filtering' eg: like in SAP, if a company code is selected on higher level, the subsequent information is filtered for company code.

This is not supported in Out of th box Ariba. Special activities need to be performed to achieve this functionality.

Ariba approval is one complicated aspect, if you plan to skipping the non-relevant and redundant approval levels, (to avoid multiple and unnecessary approval )

If you are planning to use HR org structure data, then, the skipping logic do not work without adding a significant customisation.

While creating a Shopping Cart, 'Vendor' Fild is non-mandetory field. This men th shopper can ceate and submit the requisition for approval, without mentioning the 'vendor'. The financial approver cannot 'edit' the requisition, as there is no 'Edit' button on approval scren ( though th instruction text instructs that 'edit' is possible')

Thus , the approver would have to 'reject' th requsition. The requisitioner then again have to populate the vendor and resubmit.

The concept o 'incompletion workflow' do not exist as Out O The Box Ariba solution ( like SRM).

Solution-

Mak vendor field as Mandtory. This would be a change in OOTB solution and would need a CRD ( cutom change by Ariba consultant)

Deepak Sanghi Ariba Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for taking time to write down your thoughts on issues that you have faced. Could you please let me know the name of your organization? Are you an On-Demand customer or On-Premise customer? Also, are you already live with the solution or are you still deploying? You could reply to these questions here on this thread or send me an email at dsanghi@ariba.com.

If you want Ariba to look into any specific issue, you need to file a Support Request in Ariba Connect. You could continue to post the issues here also in order to seek feedback from our community of users who may have faced similar issues and may have found solution or workarounds for those problems.

Regards,

Deepak Sanghi

Solutions Management, Ariba Procurement

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for viewing the thread.

We are On-Demand Solution customer. Ariba consultants helping on this project are very competent and helpful. I am posting the issues for the benefit of community. Issues like ' No Storage Location' , Inconsistencies between the file name for Import and exports , Data dictionary file contents/column headings and the ZARIBA_SSP_MASTER_DATA_PULL etc. are 'customer independent' .

Also a recommendation from me to Ariba is to give the heads-up about the issues when implementing a solution. One session in the workshop need to be devoted to highlight these issues under the topic heading as - Ariba ’product gap or challenges Ariba faced while implementing at other customer sites. This will reduce the 'surprise element' when the issues are faced.

Common ID and Material Group combination UNSPSC

ERPCommodityCodeMap.csv file contains UNSPSC codes under the CommonID column heading. Ariba has all the UNSPSC loaded as CommonID. (Approx 21557). Not all codes are relevant for individual business/company. In that case, the users may end up selecting a Common ID in Requisition, which is NOT mapped to Material. Group.  This creates an uncomfortable user experience for the business users.

A special step is to be performed to avoid this inconsistency.

Account Assignment and Account Types on Ariba Requisition

1. This is one of the most complex section, and Ariba standard program is not fetching the right values atleast for our implementations.

Table T162K - Account Assignment Field Selection and T004F - G/L account field selection fetch only limited account assignment ( even from the set of standard acc assignment it fetches only A , K, P not F, ) it do not fetch any custom made acc assignments.

2. The string FAUS1 in  T162K and T004F do not match. Ariba standard program checks only 50 characters not all 70 characters, of field selection.

3. On Ariba requisition screen, there is no automatic relationship between Account Assignment category and the Account Type. i.e. you can choose any of the options from Account Assignment (eg: say 'A'- Asset) and then choose 'K' as cost centre in Account Type field. This combination can still be allowed as per OOTB Ariba.

4. Account Type choice is based on ERPCommodityCodeMap file entries.

Budget Check functionality

Ariba do not offer a real time budget check functionality.

When a Requisition is to be raised in Ariba, against say an SAP Internal Order (IO) , residing in SAP, Ariba do not have a mechanism of real time RFC call to check the available budget.

Budget information is extracted on periodic basis (nightly /hourly file extract, which is then loaded to Ariba. Ariba Requisition then checks the budget available as per the file loadd onto Ariba.

Business situation:    ( simulation is broken down into numbered steps for easy understanding)

1. If backend system, where the budgets are maintained, is connected with any other system (say SRM),

2. same IO  budget is being consumed by Ariba and SRM,

3.  the file extract which is loaded in Ariba do not provide the 'accurate picture'.

4.  if SRM  or any manual adjustments due to Accounts payable adjustments, consumes any more budget between the interval of  the time gap of budget file loading ,

5. then the Ariba would allow the user to create the requisition,

6.  however, this requisition would then fail to create the Purchase Order in SAP,

7.  if Ariba requisition is consuming more value than which would be available.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 4 points