Secrets to Using the Supplier Profile Questionnaire
What the Profile Questionnaire is:
- The profile questionnaire is a document that contains sections and questions. Ariba provides one master copy of the profile questionnaire. You can also add your own questions to the default questionnaire to collect information that can help you choose appropriate suppliers.
- The profile questionnaire is a type of document that is contained in a knowledge project.
- The profile questionnaire is a draft document until you publish it. Once published, the updated profile questionnaire is available to organizations the next time they edit their profiles.
- Ariba recommends that you publish updates to the profile questionnaire during a period of low activity for your site, such as a weeknight or a weekend, to allow the system to update supplier records with new profile questionnaire data in a regulated way. If you publish the profile questionnaire during a time of high activity and a user creates a supplier search that includes profile questionnaire answers and returns a large number of results, the system must update all of the supplier records for those results at once, which can impact the performance of your site.
- The profile questionnaire is a great way to obtain additional information from Suppliers. Suppliers might request to provide information on their capabilities and commodities, or you might encounter a supplier whose data you need. Suppliers can update their profile, or you can provide a URL that allows suppliers to directly access the supplier profile.
- Configurable profile with predefined out- of-the-box fields
- Ability to search on extended supplier profile fields
- Supplier Self-Registration
- Supplier Organizational Hierarchy
- Ability to score profile elements
- Supplier Discovery Postings
- Questions from the SPQ can be added to events, and the supplier’s answers from the SPQ will be pre-populated, and if they modify the answer, the SPQ is updated.
You need information about your suppliers in order to know what capabilities and characteristics they have, and what commodities they can provide. You use a profile questionnaire to collect this data. You can also use the profile questionnaire to collect information internally from other users in your company.
Profile questionnaire responses might come any or all of the following sources:
- Internal users in the Supplier/Customer Manager or Supplier/Customer Agent group creating a supplier organization.
- Suppliers providing profile information when they self-register using the Register as New Supplier link.
- Suppliers filling out the profile questionnaire from the My Profile link when they log into Ariba Spend Management.
- Import of extended supplier profile data, including data from third-party Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- Suppliers or internal users providing responses to profile questionnaire content that has been included in Ariba Sourcing events, quick surveys, or Supplier Performance Management surveys. Responses to profile questionnaire content are automatically moved to the supplier’s profile questionnaire when the event or survey closes. For details on adding profile questionnaire or library content to Ariba Sourcing events, see the Ariba Event Management Guide; for details on adding library content to quick surveys and SPM surveys, see the Ariba Sourcing Process Management Guide or the Ariba Supplier Management Guide.
A Word About Supplier Self-Registration
Ariba allows suppliers to register themselves for consideration as participants in future Ariba Sourcing events. This self registration enables buyers to collect supplier information with minimal effort, and gives them a place to refer new suppliers that are asking for consideration as approved suppliers. Administrators configure supplier self-registration at the site level, and it must be enabled to allow suppliers to register. The Register as New Supplier link is available to a supplier on the login page if supplier self registration is enabled. When the supplier clicks the Register as New Supplier link, the Supplier Registration page displays. On this page, the supplier provides organization information, supplier user information, and can fill out the profile questionnaire. Upon completing the Supplier Registration page, the supplier receives confirmation that the request has been sent to the Supplier/Customer Manager for approval, and that login information is provided upon approval. Suppliers sometimes request to register. You can send them a URL to give them access to the supplier self registration page.
Searching for Suppliers on Ariba Discovery
You can search for suppliers before creating a posting or to increase your supplier base. For example, you can search according to commodities or location, such as a state or country. While you are searching for suppliers in Ariba Sourcing, you access the Ariba Discovery directory. You can add suppliers to your favorites and also import them into Ariba Sourcing.
To search for suppliers, mark suppliers as favorites, and import profile data into Ariba Sourcing:
- Click the Home tab.
- Choose Suppliers and Customers from the Search menu. The Search Suppliers and Customers page appears.
- Click Search Network Discovery to access Ariba Discovery
- Click Preview Suppliers
* Note —Ariba has close to 750K+ suppliers currently on the Ariba Network.
SAMPLE Letter for Supplier Registration Using Ariba Discovery
Thank you for your interest in becoming a strategic partner in helping support <Insert Company Name> supply chain management needs. <Company> aligns itself with best-in-class organizations to help drive the success of our sourcing needs through dynamic partnerships that focus on driving process and cost excellence while delivering flawless service and performance from our supply chain. To successfully align partners with the right need, <Company> utilizes Ariba Discovery as our pool of potential suppliers. If your organization has an interest in being considered as a potential supplier, you’ll need to self register with Ariba as follows:
Please direct your browser to http://discovery.ariba.com. As a supplier you must first click on the “I’m Selling” tab and then complete the “Register Now” section as shown below. You will need to be registered in Ariba Discovery to be considered for our business.
If you have any questions or difficulties with registering in the Ariba system, please contact the Ariba Customer Service team at (866) 218-2155 for all technical assistance. Based on the accuracy of your self registration, we will be able to search and identify potential suppliers for new opportunities. There is no need for you to follow up with <Company Name> after you’ve completed your registration as will proactively reach out to you as we see a potential fit for a specific opportunity. Thank you again for your interest and registering with <Company Name> Strategic Sourcing Team.,
<Insert Company Name>