|Supply Lines||dads||Volume 24 - 2012||•||Subscribe|
Senior Product Marketing Manager, Seller Solutions
Is Your Company’s E-Commerce Approach Aggressive?
In Part I of this article, we explained the value of taking the Ariba e-commerce maturity quiz to assess your company’s e-commerce standing. Below are results and characteristics of companies at the most advanced, or Aggressive, level of development—along with tips on driving truly best-in-class results.
How Aggressive Companies Stack Up
- In the joint Ariba/Selling Power survey, 11 percent of respondents classified their company as Aggressive.
- Organizations that fell into the Aggressive category reported the following results and characteristics from their e-commerce initiatives:
- 27.5 percent have gained an increase in revenue from new accounts
- 29.3 percent have realized an increase in revenue from existing accounts
- 34.1 percent have achieved an increase in customer retention
- Aggressive sellers tend to have deployed the following technologies, but have expressed a higher degree of impact/satisfaction than Proactives (with a 6.8 – 5.5 mean for satisfaction out of 10):
- Basic catalog/rich content catalog
- Web storefront
- Online configuration/product customization
- Customer questions/answers
- Upsell recommendations
- Customer community/social networking
- Customer reviews
- B2B integration capabilities
- Aggressive sellers tend to be more “delighted” with their overall e-commerce results. While the overall percentage of impact to their new and existing revenue streams may be slightly lower than for other maturity levels, it appears that Aggressive companies have learned to set realistic expectations for their e-commerce initiatives, so they are more satisfied with the benefits they deliver.
Quick Tips: Steps You Can Take to Evolve Beyond Aggressive
Reaching the Aggressive level of e-commerce maturity doesn’t necessarily mean you’re attaining the highest possible results. For example, best-in-class sellers reported the following levels of benefits—notably higher than what Aggressives obtained in the same categories:
So even if you’re a mature organization with solid technical capabilities, you still have opportunities to increase your revenue, customer retention, and customer satisfaction through e-commerce. Key strategies used by best-in-class organizations provide a good place to start, including: