4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 12:00 PM by Cameron Patterson

Q&A from 10s2 Sourcing Customer Readiness Training

David Morel Master

Below are the questions and answers from the Customer Readiness Presentation for 10s2 release of Ariba Sourcing.  If you would like to discuss any of them further, please make sure you reference the question number. Thank you!

1. Where will the recording be available?  How will others access it?
        1. The recording and the actual presentation will be available through the Early Access Portal in Connect.  The presentation contains additional information about the features that I didn’t cover such as Limitations and Enablement.
      2. Can you do tiered volume bidding only in the alternative bidding or is it only available in the primary bid? Rather, can you only do it in alternative bidding only and NOT in the primary bid to clarify?
        1. Supplier Volume Tiers are only available via the Alternate Bid, but a buyer could use matrix bidding to setup an event with Buyer Tiers. 
      3. Did I hear correctly that once alternative bids are submitted, suppliers can not delete the bid even if the event is still open?
        1. Correct, just like they can’t delete their submitted bids now.  Event Administrators can delete the bids, both primary and alternative, after they have been submitted.
      4. What is the Line Item Limit?
        1. I am assuming this question is in relation to the Alternative Bidding functionality.  Our standard “line item limits” are not changing in 10s2, basically, 100 line items in competitive events and 1,000 line items in non-competitive events. Please see the Event Management Guide for the detailed description of the Event Limits.  For Alternative bidding, we plan to implement a limit of the number of Alternative Bid they can create and numbers of items that can be included in all their alternate bids.  The limits have not been finalized and are currently being evaluated in performance testing.  We will publish the limits with the 10s2 Release Notes.
      5. What do you mean by competitive vs. non-competitive event? (100-line vs. 1,000) line...
        1. We have different limits for Competitive and Non-competitive events. In a competitive event, participants can see market information, such as their own rank, the lead bid, and other competitors’ bids or ranks. An event is non-competitive if participants cannot see any market information. Typically, auction events are competitive, and RFPs are non-competitive.
      6. I like tiered bidding in the alternate options.  How would I build and RFx to request tiered pricing at tiers I specify as the primary?
        1. As stated above, Supplier Volume Tiers are not supported in the Primary Bid, but buyers can simulate tiers via the use of Matrix Bidding.  Contact support for assistance if you are interested.
      7. Do alternative bids count in the total line items available?  If so, what happens when suppliers flood you with alternatives and exceed that limit?
        1. As stated above, we are determining the limits that we will allow and suppliers will not be able to exceed those limits when creating/submitting their bids.
      8. If you choose alternative bidding on the template, is it easy for the suppliers to figure out how to use it?
        1. I am sure it will depend upon the particular suppliers, but I would suggest the buyer running such an event provide some guidance to their suppliers.  Also, we will be releasing a Demo for suppliers addressing bidding in these types of events.
      9. Are these demo's viewable on the Ariba website?  If not, will they be at some point in the future?
        1. The feature demo’s that I used in my presentation, and more for the other features, will be made available sometime next month via Connect.
      10. Why make the process of selecting lots via Excel at the intention stage?  Seems unnecessarily complex…
        1. The demo did make things look a little more complex than they could be.  This was because I had items that were customized and some that were not.  Also, the items I customized were optional.  These two elements of the event made things more complicated.  If they were all customized, the supplier would just use the excel sheet to select lots.  If they were all required it would make the process easier because they would already be selected in the UI and not changeable.
      11. Is it possible to combine Formula Bidding with Alternate Bids?
        1. Yes.
      12. Will offline bidding accommodate a large RFP with many questions (300+) and how does it impact conditional questions?
        1. There are two parts to this question.  First, yes, the offline custom response sheet functionality can assist with large RFPs that exceed our event limits.  In excel, you could ask any number of questions or request any number of items/lots/terms.  The key is what you map those responses two in Ariba.  You will have to be within our limits. For example, you might want to know the number of employees a company has in 5 different regions and a break out of full-time, part-time, and contract labor.  That would normally be 15 questions(5x3).  That could be one question in Ariba, “How many employees do you have?” The customized sheet would ask for the break down and the total would map to the one question.  Same with Terms, you could want to collect 50 terms for every item, but only need 15 of those in Ariba for Optimization purposes.  So, you create an item with 15 terms in Ariba.  In the custom offline sheet, you map 15 of the 50 you collect to the terms in Ariba., you could want to collect 50 terms for every item, but only need 15 of those in Ariba for Optimization purposes.  So, you create an item with 15 terms in Ariba.  In the custom offline sheet, you map 15 of the 50 you collect to the terms in Ariba.
             Conditional questions can not be customized, but they can be triggered by the values from a customized question.  The supplier would enter their values in the Custom Response Sheet, upload back into Ariba, and then the conditional content would appear or disappear based upon their responses.
      13. Has the limit on number of line items in an event increased in 10s2?
        1. No, but this is a very high priority with the 10s3 release.  We still haven’t been through the prioritization process for 10s3, so we don’t know what features will be target for that release as of yet.
      14. Can the supplier "Decline to Respond", after accepting the bidder's agreement and viewing the contents of RFP? Is "Decline to Respond" reversible?
        1. Yes, we haven’t changed the functionality in this area.
      15. Who controls the supplier collaboration? Is it done at the supplier level by the site administrator, or is it done at the project level and controlled by the project owner?
        1. This is in relation to the Strategic External User Access feature, and the answer is both!  First, the general capabilities are controlled via parameters for your company’s site.  Once enabled, individual project owners can add suppliers to project team groups with the “Limited Team Member” role.
      16. Will the new features added by other groups be supported by normal Technical Support Channels?
        1. Seeking clarification of the question from the submitter.
      17. The print event information feature before publishing an event is great. Very clean. Is there any capability to have this feature with the responses? Some responses are too long for an Excel sheet. Much cleaner in Word.
        1. Suppliers are able to generate a version of their response like this once the event goes into Pending Selection status.  A buyer could Surrogate Bid as the supplier and generate one, but that is the only way currently.  The ability for a buyer to generate these for all the responding suppliers is under consideration for 10s3.
      18. What's the current planned release date for 10s2 and when is 10s3 talked of?
        1. We are currently looking to release 10s2 in July or August.  We don’t have a date for 10s3 at this time.
      19. Would there be training materials on the big 10s2 features, such as Customized Bid Sheet?
        1. I have produced demo recordings that will be made available to buyers via Connect and we are updating all the documentation for the new features.
      20. Are the template descriptions going to be improved upon to make selecting the appropriate one easier?  For example, with RFP there is a template for pricing information and there is one for pricing breakdown.
        1. The descriptions in the templates are not being updated in the release.  They are fully described in the Event Management Guide and the your template administrator can modify the descriptions if desired, assuming you are using Sourcing Pro.
      21. Will the new features added by other groups, Contracts Team or Platform, be supported by normal Technical Support Channels?
        1. Yes.
        • Re: Q&A from 10s2 Sourcing Customer Readiness Training
          Karla Jimenez Apprentice

Does the alternative bids returns any rank to suppliers?

Cameron Patterson Newbie

David:

Sorry I missed the live presentation.

1) I just watched the watched the video posted on Connect for 10s2 Sourcing.  While the audio was ok, the video didn't sync with the audio for at least 50% of the presentation.  I use VLC as my viewer, but had the same issue with MS Media Player.  It should be reviewed.

2) Has the table functionality / editablity been addressed in 10s2?  We frequently find that the tables we originally create must be significantly modified before publication. While spreadsheet like dynamic editing would be nice, what we particularly miss is the ability to insert new rows between existing rows, and delete the ones that contain errors.

3) Has spell check been added in 10s2?

4) As a regular event builder, I'd like to know if formating of the excel spreadsheets I see has been addressed?  The spreadsheet we get from the Excel import function needs a lot of work just to be readable. Is it possible to remove the duplicate Name & Description columns that include HTML coding?  Is it possible to approximate a column width

5) Can suppliers CC others within their organization to ensure that the whole response team is aware that they have emailed thru' the tool. Now the message can only be sent to us.

Looking forward to getting into the 10s2sandbox for a trial.

David Morel Master

Cameron,

Thanks for reviewing the recording and providing the information about the synch issue.  I will check it out.  I will answer you questions below:

2) Has the  table functionality / editablity been addressed in 10s2?  We frequently  find that the tables we originally create must be significantly modified  before publication. While spreadsheet like dynamic editing would be  nice, what we particularly miss is the ability to insert new rows  between existing rows, and delete the ones that contain errors.

- No changes have been implemented in this area.

3) Has spell  check been added in 10s2?

- No, we didn't implement Spell Check.  It didn't make the prioritization during our planning.  We get a lot of requests for this, but when we have a customer survey to review the top requests, this is usually lower on the list.  Spell check is a part of Firefox and you can get an addon for Internet Explorer to check the spelling.  You can also export your event into Excel, spell check in there, and then re-import.

4) As a regular event builder, I'd like to know  if formating of the excel spreadsheets I see has been addressed?  The  spreadsheet we get from the Excel import function needs a lot of work  just to be readable. Is it possible to remove the duplicate Name &  Description columns that include HTML coding?  Is it possible to  approximate a column width

- No changes have been implemented in this area.  Have you submitted an ER for this?  Are you talking about the excel sheet that can be used for building an event?  The columns with the HTML are there so you don't lose the formatting that was included in the UI.

5) Can suppliers CC others within their  organization to ensure that the whole response team is aware that they  have emailed thru' the tool. Now the message can only be sent to us.

- No changes have been implemented in this area.  We have some other changes in the Messageboard area that are being considered for 10s3. Please make sure you submit an ER for the enhancements you are seeking so we have a record of it and we can start seeing trends.