19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 1:35 PM by Ian Jamieson

Contract Workspace/Request Archival Process?

Sybil Sheppard Master

Hello!

I have been told by the Ariba Tech team that there is currently no systematic way to handle archiving.  Has anyone found a workaround to handle workspaces/requests that have reached the end of their record retention timeline?

Thanks!

• Re: Contract Workspace/Request Archival Process?
          Craig Fischer Journeyman

Sybil,

By "reached the end of their record retention timeline" do you mean A) you have a need to erase any record of these projects from Ariba or B) you would like to remove records from being searchable and used in Ariba?  Or is there another reason?

Sybil Sheppard Master

Hi Craig,

We are looking at option A...these are records/contracts that would have been destroyed after whatever their applicable retention policy stated, and we are looking to have some way to mimic that in Ariba.

Thanks!

• Re: Contract Workspace/Request Archival Process? ER 1-BE5029
                  Mike Uddin Expert

I recently learned the same from Ariba technical support: that there exists no such purge capability or business rules such that Ariba customers can comply with records retention policies.  This is a crucial piece of functionality of any content management system, and I too was surprised to learn of its absence in Ariba OnDemand.  Absence of purge capabilities leaves customer companies exposed to information discovery long after contracts and other records should have been deleted from Ariba.

I therefore submitted ER 1-BE5029. Since Ariba has had customers in their OnDemand environment for several years now, customizable purge capabilities will become a hot topic (particularly Ariba customers who loaded any previously-executed agreements which may have subsequently expired).  I proposed the business rules be customizable and that it would tie to customizable workflow for notification of records about to be purged.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • Re: Contract Workspace/Request Archival Process? ER1-BE5029
                Mike Uddin Expert

I was surprised to receive the following response to ER1-BE5029 yesterday.  If compliance with your company's records retention/purge policy is a key part of your needs, I'd recommend you also submit an enhancement request.

"Thank you for submitting Ariba Enhancement Request 1-BE5029,  This Enhancement Request was described as follows:  Records Retention policy compliance.      

After reviewing this Enhancement Request, we have determined that based on current priorities and resources we will not be able to implement this enhancement within the next 18 months.  We will reconsider this enhancement at a future date."

Kevin Dvorchak Expert

As a workaround to your problem, you could use access control settings to limit the visibility of workspaces needing to be archived to a single account.  This was hinted at in a previous post. To do so, you could create a user account with a name such as "Archive User" and then do a mass update of projects to replace the workspace owner with the Archive User account, as well as change the access control for all such workspaces to Owner Only. In doing so you would limit the visibly of all such workspaces to the single account, removing all possible access of the workspaces from the general user base.

You may also need to replace the members of the "Project Owner" group in the workspace with the Archive User account, but again this can be done using the mass edit wizard. The entire process would be relatively quick to complete.

You would still need to filter the results out of any reports, but filters based on Workspace Owner to exclude the necessary workspaces should be relatively easy to add.

Good luck.

Mike Uddin Expert

Thanks Kevin.  I appreciate the idea and have two concerns with that approach: 1. There's not yet a means to set an archival date, so Mass Edit might be of limited use.  2. The approach only hides the workspaces from reports; it does not truly destroy them as most Records Management Policies would require.

Sybil Sheppard Master

Thanks Kevin,

We brought that up to our legal team when the issue first presented itself, but the issue is discoverability.  It is my understanding (and I'm certainly not a lawyer!) that if anyone within our company or within Ariba can access these documents (even just a shell of the original) that the items are available for legal discovery...which leaves us out of compliance with our company's policy.

Debra Ryan Apprentice

I was definitely glad to see this string of comments regarding the Contract Workspace/Request Archival Process.  HP has a huge need for this functionality so that we can destroy the records that exceed our record retention policy.  We are being told by Ariba that we are the only customer asking for this functionality.  Hence, since we are the only customer, Ariba is not going to be working on it any time soon.   It would be great to know all the companies that are looking for this functionality so that we can band together.  Please respond if your company needs the ability to permanently your upstream data from your Ariba database.

Sharon Horton, PMP Master

As a point of reference, I wanted to make sure that everyone knows what changes happen to a workspace when it is deleted:

The Project "Object" is actually deactivated so that it is only accessible to users with Deleted Documents Access.

Project changes:

- Tasks and phases are set to inactive.  All tasks are assigned to the Project Owner Group regardless of original Task owner

- Template answers are deleted entirely

- Team groups and members are deleted entirely except the Project Owner group which is set to inactive.  

Content changes:

- Folders are set to inactive

- Main Agreement and Contract Addenda are set to inactive

- Subprojects are set to inactive and handled the same way as the deleted project

- All other documents are deleted entirely

stephenellesmere Newbie

Hi Sybil

Was this ER completed by Ariba?

Steve

Mike Uddin Expert

I have been approached by Ariba to submit a CRD (Customer Requirements Document) on this Records Retention / purge issue. Please let me know if you would like to contribute.  Thus far, the most crucial components I've captured are:

1. The ability for all data and attachments to be purged & destroyed in such a manner that it cannot be recovered or discovered following destruction.
                              2. A configurable workflow which will route to a person(s) or group(s) within X days of the pending destruction/purge date and reminders every Y days thereafter.
                              3. The ability to “save” or “rescue” a record/data from the automated/scheduled purge date.
                              4. The ability to set predefined rules for a purge date to be automatically applied (e.g. X months/years following the Expiration Date of a contract, or Y months/years following the Closing Bid Date on a sourcing event, or Z months/years following an SPM survey).
                              5. The ability for an Owner or Administrator to modify the purge date up until the date itself.
                              6. The option to transfer those records to a portable media for “offline” storage when/if needed (e.g. for a record which is part of an active litigation or investigation).

I welcome your input as interested stakeholders as well.  Thank you!

The ability for all data and attachments to be purged & destroyed
                                in such a manner that it cannot be recovered or discovered following destruction.

A configurable workflow which will route to a person(s) or group(s)
                                within X days of the pending destruction/purge date and reminders every Y
                                days thereafter.

The ability to “save” or “rescue” a record/data from the
                                automated/scheduled purge date.

The ability to set predefined rules for a purge date to be
                                automatically applied (e.g. X months/years following the Expiration Date of a
                                contract, or Y months/years following the Closing Bid Date on a sourcing
                                event, or Z months/years following an SPM survey).

The ability for an Owner or Administrator to modify the purge date up
                                until the date itself.

The option to transfer those records to a portable media for “offline”
                                storage when/if needed (e.g. for a record which is part of an active
                                litigation or investigation).

Ian Jamieson Apprentice

I am glad other enterprise customers have articulated this issue, my own organisation is similarly affected

My hope is that SAP leverage their extensive relationship with vendors like OpenText (Content Server) to provide a productised integration so that this can be offloaded / externalised from Ariba.

Information storage does not equate to information management

The use of CMIS may provide options to leverage OpenText or other industry leading ECM solutions that support this industry standard.

- See more at: http://exchange.ariba.com/message/8456#8456