6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 11:53 PM by Ana Bescansa

Japanese and Dutch Reverse Auctions

ed101 Novice

Hi,

I've been using reverse english auctions on Ariba having previously used Agentrics, but wanted to look at the possibility of using dutch or japanese auctions as an alternative.

Does ariba have the functionality to set them up in the same way as one would for a reverse english auction?

My colleagues think they are possible but they have to be set up as a custom auction, if this is a case could someone talk me through this?

any help would be very welcome.

Ed

• Re: Japanese and Dutch Reverse Auctions
          David Morel Master

Hello Ed!  We do support Dutch Auctions, but not Japanese currently.  Are you on the CD or OnDemand platform?  If the latter, we have just released in 10s2 SP1 the ability to run Transformational Dutch Auctions.  Check out the Release Guide for 10s2 and the Event Management Guides for more information.  Let us know how things work out!

ed101 Novice

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, my issue with the dutch auctions is that they seem to stop when the final bid is finished giving other suppliers visibility on the price achieved. Personally I dont mind this but I know that my suppliers would. Also it only seems to capture one bidders price which may cause problems if turns out that the winners bid turns out to be non valid - we think there is a possible work around to this by enforcing pre bids so that we at least have a price from all suppliers

We've built a psuedo Japanese auction now with lots finishing in series so that bidders accept a price and move on, we're considering locking them from the auction when they stop bidding and our other dilema is showing them ranking, and the effect this may have on behaviour.

Any one had experience of these two issues?

thanks

Ed

David Morel Master

I have never heard of the issue with the auction stopping when the price was accepted by a supplier.  That is the basics of how such an event works.  It is the pressure that if they don't accept this price level, someone else might and I lose out entirely.  Dutch auctions are usually run where there is a limited supply base, but a good amount of competition. My question for you is why run Dutch Auctions?  Why are you not running regular auctions?    Yes, you can build a very manual version of a Japanese auction in the solution as you describe with lots and have a yes/no term that the suppliers acknowledge at each price level.  When they stop acknowledging the price level, you lock the supplier out of the event. Rank?  You can turn off the rank in the template.