9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 8:26 AM by Sharon Horton, PMP

How can I keep cumulative red-lining in my document?

Holly Wukasch Apprentice

Does anyone have a work around (or solution) to be able to have a cumulative red-lined document through the negotiation in Contract Management?  In our process, an agent sends a contract to the supplier, the supplier sends it back with red-lines, usually the agent then needs to send it to our legal counsel to review and red-line.  The red lining history is breaking down once our legal gets involved.  The Ariba system is automatically accepting changes to the document.

Please advise if you have any solutions or work-arounds.

Thank you!

Holly

• Re: How can I keep cumulative red-lining in my document?
          Ryan Hutnick Journeyman

Hi Holly,

When the supplier send back the document with red-lines, are you merging the document that they send? Do you use the review change link in the task?

If you answer yes to either of the questions, do you use a "Review" task to send the redlined document to the legal department? This should contain the red-lines as long a user did not accept them.

If you answered no, how are you updating the document in the system? Are you replacing the document? The "Replace document" option will wipe the redlines clean but the "Merge" will keep the redlines intact.

Most commonly, someone will use the replace document unknowing of what it does. The suggested method to update a document and keep the redlines is to "Merge."

Hopefully this helps.

Ryan

Holly Wukasch Apprentice

Ryan,

Thank you for responding.  We are not "replacing" the document.  Basically, after the supplier has submitted via the negotiation task, the agent clicks Review changes.  The agent at that point can see the red lines.  The agent will accept and reject those redlines using Word functionality that do not need legal counsel.  Any remaining red lines will be reviewed by legal via te approval task.  Legal will make red lines and deny the approval.  The agent then opens the document after receiving the denial and this is where we see the issue.  Supplier red lines have been accepted by the Ariba system even though neither the agent or legal "accepted" them.  Any thoughts?.....

Thank you!

Holly

Ryan Hutnick Journeyman

Holly,

Which redlines are automatically accepted?

- The redlines which exist in the document prior to sending the document to Legal and they did not accept?

- Or the redlines that Legal makes and sends back through the denied approval task?

Ryan

Holly Wukasch Apprentice

Ryan,

It's the redlines from the supplier (prior to going to legal) that get automatically accepted.

Best,

Holly

Ryan Hutnick Journeyman

Hi Holly,

Would legal be responsible for accepting/rejecting the remaining red-lines from the supplier? I believe this to be more of a process issue than it is a system issue. Here's why:

- You send Doc A to the legal department with redlines from the supplier in Section A and Section B.

- Legal reviews the document and accepts the changes in Section B but does not accept/reject the changes in Section A.

- Legal then denies the task and attaches the document

- When you receive the document back, you "Review Changes" which compares the Server copy and the copy legal provided

- The system sees that the text did not change section A, thus, not red-lining it ("Accepting" it)

The function of the task is not to keep a history of the red-lines, only to compare the differences of when it leaves and when it returns during that round. If you'd want to see the differences between versions, you would need to use the "Compare Version" option on the document.

So, in summary, my suggestion would be to ensure that any red-line in the document should be accepted/rejected by Legal when sent to them.

Ryan

Holly Wukasch Apprentice

Ryan,

I think I understand what you are saying but we still need one full cumulative red lined document.  The example I outlined is a simplified example.  In many cases, the manager or a stakeholder will also make red lines in an optional review task.  We'll need to see who did what and when, like how Word works outside of Ariba.  A secondary issue we have encountered is the system tags ownership to changes in Word incorrectly.  Ex.  supplier red lines will have the agent's name associated with the red lines when you hover the curser over the change.

Is this secondary issue a bug?...have you seen this before?

Best,

Holly

Sharon Horton, PMP Master

There seem to be a number of replies to this issue and there doesn't seem to be an adequate resolution.  So, I don't know if the below helps, it's VERY long winded . . . Krista??? Holly??

The way Ariba was designed to be used is outlined in 1-5 below.  If you are using Assembled Documents, this is probably your only option as it is usually not recommended to use the "replace document" function with Assembled Documents (perhaps Ryan can chime in here as he mentioned it in his reply).  If you use "replace document", check in below 5.

1.  When you are using the negotiation task and you attach supplier's proposal, you need to click the Review Changes link to open the document in Word.  At this point, we recommend that you should not be working in the document at all - these are the supplier's changes.  You should simply Save, close Word and Update Now.  Your comments can be something like Supplier's next version.  THis maintains the history of what the supplier sent to you.  This is not an Ariba limitation, it's simply a best practice to keep a record (version) of what the supplier sent to you without any of your changes.

2.  If you now want to make changes to the document, whether by the project owner or legal (anyone other than an email reviewer), use a review task.  Don't edit the document on the documents tab, Ariba will assume you really want a new version and will accept all changes erasing all the redlines..  Until you send the document to an email reviewer (including the next round of the negotiation task), all of the redlines of that round will be maintained in the document if you use review tasks, no matter how many reviews take place.  This may require Ariba training for legal and business owners.

3.  When you send the document back to the supplier, the document will then contain all of the changes the supplier sent to you plus all of the changes you made to the supplier's text (including rejections of the supplier's rejection of your text).

4.  The supplier can then make changes accordingly.

5.  When the supplier returns the document, Ariba will now look at ALL of the changes in the document from what it sent out and create a new "delta" from the previous version.  Basically, this is an assumption that the version that was sent out was ok except for the differences that have been returned.  This is a preferred practice in many legal departments - for all practical purposes, the parties have agreed to all changes except the current redlines.

If you are not using Assembled documents and you want to maintain cummulative redlines for the entire negotiation process, then you can still send the document out using the negotiation task, but instead of using review or approve tasks, the project owner can send documents to reviewers using a Document To Do task.  If the reviewer is an Ariba user, they can use "Replace Document" when they are done with the task.  If they're not an Ariba user, the project owner will need to sent the document to the user (usually by straight email, but could use email reviewer task) and then the reviewed document us sent back by email reply (including the reply from an email reviewer task).  Then the project owner will need to use "Replace Document" on behalf of the reviewer.  Each version then will be a complete redline of the document.  This method even works in cases where the customer also wants to keep the number of Ariba users lower because of training or licensing issues. 

I hope this helps - it's VERY long winded . . .