5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 2:57 PM by acinil

"email notification period" vs. "notice email notification period"

acinil Expert

Can anyone explain what is the difference between "email notification period" and "notice email notification period" and how it works within a contract workspace?

• Re: "email notification period" vs. "notice email notification period"
          Joshua Laker Apprentice

Hi there,

From what i understand, the difference between the two is based around who you want to send the notification to.

The example used i have seen is this:

• The 'Email Notification Period' could be used to remind a Legal group to review the contract terms and,
          • The 'Notice Email Notification Period' could be used to send to the Sourcing Team to begin evaluating suppliers for the next contract.

Hope this helps, for more information see: "Ariba Contract Management Process Management Guide > Step 5: Setting up Expiration and Notice Email Notifications" available from the "Help > Guides" link in the top left hand corner of Ariba.

Kind regards,

Josh

Sharon Horton, PMP Master

There are 2 "events" that occur at the end of the term of fixed and auto-renewing contracts:  Expiration and Notice Days.  The Term clause of the contract might read "The term of this agreement is 3 years unless one of the parties provides notice 30 days prior to the expiration of the agreement."  So, the Expiration Date is 3 years from the Effective Date and the Notice Period (Days) is 30.

The 2 fields you refer to are the number of days before each of these events that an email notification should be sent out to inform the recipients that these events are pending.  So, the email notification period relates to the Expiration Date:  send an email to this list of recipients X number of days before the Expiration Date.  Notice email notification period relates to the Notice Days:  send an email to this list of recipients X number of days before the Notice Date.

By the way, each of these fields also has an associated field for the reminder frequency:  Expiring Reminder Frequency and Notice Reminder Frequency.

Hope this helps.

acinil Expert

This is very helpful. So, in the example that you provided -  "The term of this agreement is 3 years unless one of the parties provides notice 30 days prior to the expiration of the agreement."- and assumming the agreement will renew automatically for another term unless a 30-day notice is provided by one of the parties, I would be able to use these fields as follows:

1) Set "email notification period" to 90 days (as an example), if I want to be notified 90 days in advance before expiration date of the agreement. This means that the email notification will go out at a point in time of [Expiration Date - 90 days]

2) Set "notice email notification period" to 45 days (as an example), if I want to be notified 45 day in advance of the approaching min 30-day notice period that I need to provide if I do not want the contract to renew automatically. In this case would the email notification period go out  at a point in time of [Expiration date - 75 days]?  It is not clear to me what is the purpose of the "notice email notification period" or how it can be used? In the example given in the previous two sentences, how would the system know that it needs to calculate 45 days before the 30 days? If the "notice email notification period" field is just to enter the duration of the notice period (in this example 30 days) what would be the use if I get an email notification 30 days before expiration date? It would be useless to me because I would already be within the 30 day period during which I can't prevent the automatic renewal. in that case the only use case scenario I can think for the "notice email notification period" is to inform someone on the Overview tab what is the notification period so that person can see it without having to open and read the contract. Unless the system captures somewhere the duration of the notice period and in another field how many days in advance the owner wants to be notified before the notice period, I don't see how this field can be of much use. Am I missing something?

Sharon Horton, PMP Master

If all contracts read the same way, we could probably just get away with one email notice, although some customers like to know both pieces of information.  If there is not Notice Days (i.e. the "action period"), then the expiration email is probably the most important - "Hey, this contract is expiring."  Even if there is a Notice Days, however, it might be important to notify accounting to stop paying a monthly invoice, for example.

2) Set "notice email notification period" to 45 days (as an example), if I want to be notified 45 day in advance of the approaching min 30-day notice period that I need to provide if I do not want the contract to renew automatically. In this case would the email notification period go out  at a point in time of [Expiration date - 75 days]?  Yes.

It is not clear to me what is the purpose of the "notice email notification period" or how it can be used? In the example given in the previous two sentences, how would the system know that it needs to calculate 45 days before the 30 days? The Notice notification is sent based on it's own notification period independent of the expiration notification.

If the "notice email notification period" field is just to enter the duration of the notice period (in this example 30 days) what would be the use if I get an email notification 30 days before expiration date? There is a Notice Period (days) that records this 30 days in your example.  Then the Notice Email Notification period is based on that.  Let's say Exiration is 12/31/2011 and Notice Period is 30.  So the event of Expiration is 12/31/2011 and the Email Notification Period (how many days before you want email sent to warn that the contract is expiring) is 60, the email would be sent out approx 11/1/2011.  Then, the even Notice Period occurs 12/1/2011 and we want an email warning on that let's say 90 days before we have to give notice, because it takes us that long to verify usage and get budgetary authorization, we'd set the Notice Email Notification Period to 90 and get this email notice on September 1, 2011.

Unless the system captures somewhere the duration of the notice period  - This is the field Notice Period (days)

1 of 1 people found this helpful