1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 7:38 AM by Brandi Greene

Survey Scoring best practice?

Brandi Greene Expert

We implemented SPM one year ago and now that we've had some time/experience under our belt, we want to ensure that our scoring practices are in line with current best practice thinking.  Would anyone be willing to share their current scoring methodology?

Currently, we use the following response scoring:

Exceeds Expectations - 100

Satisfied - 80

Partially Satisfied - 50

Unsatisfied - 0

The consultant who assisted with implementation recommended this scoring method to help draw attention to situations where questions were scored with Unsatisfied rather than using an evenly spaced scale.

Would love to hear others thoughts!  Thanks in advance....

• Re: Survey Scoring best practice?
          Karim el Gamal Journeyman

Hi Brandi,

I am an Ariba Customer Success Manager out of Europe and working with a number of customers who have implemented Surveys and Scorecards.

In terms of survey scoring I have seen various approaches.

For example, one customer I am working with uses a different scale depending on the survey section.

Subjective questions around the perceived performance of the suppliers tend to use a scale containing 4 levels, varying from a grade of 100% down to 20% (so no zero scoring)

Value
          10) I strongly agree

Grade

100.00%

(8) I agree
          80.00%
          (5) I disagree
          50.00%
          (2) I strongly disagree
          20.00%

Or

Value Grade
          (10) Better than expected
          100.00%
          (8) About what I expected
          80.00%
          (5) Somewhat worse than expected
          50.00%
          (2) Much worse than expected
          20.00%

Another customer I am working with also uses a scale containing 4 levels, but with a minimum grade of 40%. For example, the survey question "Does the supplier resolve problems and escalate internally as appropriate?" can be scored as follows:

Value Grade
          Never resolves problems that are raised
          40.00%
          Only resolves problems after frequent chasing
          60.00%
          Solves major issues in an acceptable timeframe
          80.00%
          Resolves all issues in a timely and excellent manner
          100.00%

Observations:

In terms of number of levels on the survey scoring scale you all seem to be on par (4 levels). The main difference is how you translate the 4 levels to grades.

The customers I am working with have chosen not to use a 0% grade as the lowest level. This is most likely due to the fact that they are sharing (part of) the scorecard information with their suppliers and conscious that a grade of 0% may be perceived as more negative than it is in reality.

If you are not sharing the results with your suppliers then a 0% grade does not have to be an issue, as long as you ensure that your internal stakeholders understand what you mean by 0% - is the supplier's performance really disastrous, or are they simply performing below your minimum expectation?

Hope this helps,

Karim