4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 12:16 AM by Walter Metrich

migrate to Weblogic 10.3

Frédéric Henri Expert

Hello everyone,

Customer is hotsting internally Ariba 9r1 Upstream with Weblogic 10 MP1 (as supported by Ariba)

The support team asks us to migrate to 10.3 as it is the official release supported by them.

Has anyone experience in working with weblogic 10.3 , any feedback you can share ?

Thanks,

Fred

• Re: migrate to Weblogic 10.3
          Walter Metrich Expert

Hi Fred,  Weblogic 10.3 (aka 11g) runs on java 6, but our 9r1 application was built and compiled using java 5, so we are currently limited to using Weblogic 10.0 which runs on java 5.

We have plans to upgrade to java 6 in the 2012/2013 timeframe and support Weblogic 11g, Websphere 8, and Tomcat 7 (all of which runs on java 6).

Frédéric Henri Expert

Thanks a lot Walter,

I did not think about that but it makes total sense.

regards,

Fred

Charlie Ross Apprentice

Walter,

Curious as to why you're waiting so long to move to Java 6.  As you probably know, Sun has stopped providing free updates to Java 5 and it's on extended support (for cost).

I do appreciate your putting some kind of timeline out there... I previously submitted a case through Connect on this and they wouldn't provide a specific date.

--Charlie

Walter Metrich Expert

There are several reasons why we decided on this particular timeline. One of which is the magnitude of the effort which involves evaluating all of our current java code and ensuring it works with java 6, then certifying our supported application servers (Weblogic, Websphere, Tomcat) to run on java 6, and certifying all of the other platforms (server OS, database, web servers, etc) that work with the app servers.  We're also waiting for IBM to release Websphere 8. As you can imagine, this entire effort will take some time, which needs to be balanced with our other features being planned for 9r1.  From a java 5 perspective, we provide the latest updates from Oracle/Sun. If you are currently enrolled with Ariba Support, the updates can be accessed from connect.ariba.com by following these steps:

Click on the Download Software tab

Accept the Access Agreement

Search for JDK 1.5

Click on the download link...

I hope this helped.  -Walter