4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 2:48 AM by Ahmed Hassan

Why Social Networking?

Dr. Jones Newbie

Why is Social Networking important and how do I get started

• Re: Why Social Networking?
          Justin Fogarty Master

A good question...but one that will lead to more questions before I can give my answer.

What's your business?

Have you joined any social platforms - Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc?

And let me flip this on it's head a bit...

Do you ever ask questions like "how do other companies do ___?" To me, that's the HUGE value social media can provide - a place to ask and answer those questions. In other words, a place to share our collective brainpower.

tminahan Ariba Contributor

Just presented at a conference on the topic of "The Social Supply Chain" run by The Center for Strategic Supply Leadership. The level of interest among senior supply chain and procurement leaders was astonishing. They are no longer wondering if social networks will have a role in their supply strategies; but how best and quickly they can leverage these tools for everything from real-time supply risk monitoring to gathering intelligence on categories and suppliers to exchanging best practices with supply partners and peers.

Why the interest? That's simple:

• Conversations about your company (and your suppliers) are happening in the social realm whether you participate or not. In fact, a new study from Visible and Burson-Marstellar tracked online mentions of Fortune Global 100 companies. What they found was staggering:
                • These companies were mentioned in social channels (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube) >10.4 million times -- in one (1) month!
                • The average # of mentions per company on Twitter/month = 56,000.
              • Many attendees initially came at the subject of social from a risk mitigation perspective -- i.e., how do we avoid bad press from social. (The recent hysteria over "pink slime" in the meat-packing industry was a common reference.) But over the course of the conference they became intrigued by how social channels and business networks could be used to:
                • Detect potential risks in their supply chain in real-time. Example: When the earthquake hit Virginia last summer, Tweets from the epicenter reached New York before the shockwaves did. More impressive, these Tweet-based warnings reach to-be impacted citizens 20 minutes before the government seismologists were able to issue their warnings.
                • Assess and monitor supplier innovations and health. Attendees discussed how they are using Twitter searches, LinkedIn and Google New Alerts, and free social dashboards, like HootSuite and TweetDeck, to keep tabs on suppliers and commodity trends. While there was interest, no attendees reported using for-fee social monitoring (aka, "listening") tools.
                • Collaborate both with internal stakeholders and external suppliers. Some attendees, like Tyco, reported using internal collaboration tools, like Yammer, to engage and coordinate with team members and internal stakeholders. Others reported using business networks (such as the Ariba Network and Ariba Discovery) to foster collaboration and secure market information and supplier ratings.
              Nitin Ekka Novice

Nowdays people are using social network for increasing cotact, moreover it is a tool to understand the analytics in broder way

Ahmed Hassan Journeyman

For share-definition of market opportunity ,I think .

internet is a huge creature no-body can cover it and social networking is innovative way to narrow searching information.

the philosophy of this said '' access big data via single point"