3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 9:40 AM by Beverly Dunn

Catalog Kitting Best Practices

CHOUJS Novice

Is there any documentation or best practices on creating catalog kits in Ariba Buyer 8.2?  Do kits need to be created manually or is there a way to upload them?  Also, do the kit line items have to already exist in a catalog?  Or is there a way to hide the individual line items and make them only available in the kit?  

• Re: Catalog Kitting Best Practices
          Beverly Dunn Master
          Here are some Kitting best practices provided by an Ariba SME on Catalogs, Dawn Fisher:
          1)  Do kits need to be created manually or is there a way to upload them? Kits can only be created manually - this is no functionality to upload kits.
          2)  Do the kit line items have to already exist in a catalog? Yes - Kit items are identified from catalogs
          3) Is there a way to hide the individual line items and make them only available in the kit?  Yes you can make certain items in a catalog to be "InKitOnly" only meaning they are only available in a kit, not as a separate searchable item.
          What this means is if you do not want the items to be individually ordered, you can mark them as INKITONLY as "TRUE" in the cif file and they will only appear within a kit.  If not an INKITONLY item, you can leave this field blank and it can be ordered individually from the catalog.
          More information around kits:
          Catalog kits are defined as items in a catalog or across multiple supplier catalogs that are bundled together into one unit.
          Kits cannot include the following items:
          • Existing kits
          • Non-catalog items 
          • Punchout items
          When ordering from the product catalog, users order the catalog kit as on catalog "item".  If the individual items from the catalog kit are not marked as required, the user can also view and delete the individual items from the shopping cart before submitting the requisition.
          Hope this is helpful to you!
          Beverly Dunn,
          Manager, Customer Success
              CHOUJS Novice

Thanks Beverly!  I have a few follow-up questions to your response.

1) In regards to InKitOnly functionality, I read that it was part of the kitting enhancements in Ariba 9r1.  Is this functionality also available in 8.2?

2) Are there any guidelines on how to enter kit pricing?  i.e. We have some kits where each individual line item has a price and the kit is sum of all the line items.  We also have kits where only one line has a price and the additional lines are all $0.00.

3) Related to #2, in Ariba 8.2, is there a way to not have the kit price to be the sum of all the line items and to enter a separate price for the kit?  i.e. If the items can be ordered individually at a specific price but when kitted is at a discount.

Thanks,

Jamie

Beverly Dunn Master

Jamie -- I can answer this in a limited fashion as some will need to be answered by Support.

1) In regards to InKitOnly functionality, I read that it was part of the kitting enhancements in Ariba 9r1.  Is this functionality also available in 8.2?

I’m unsure of when this was implemented for Ariba Buyer.  I’ve tried to find out but most likely only support can answer.

2) Are there any guidelines on how to enter kit pricing?  i.e. We have some kits where each individual line item has a price and the kit is sum of all the line items.  We also have kits where only one line has a price and the additional lines are all $0.00.

Ariba only supports the first scenario “Sum of all the line items”.  Since you add items from the catalog into a kit, that is where the pricing comes from.  There is no place in 'input an overall price' for a kit – it simply is combined based on the price of the items in the kit.

3) Related to #2, in Ariba 8.2, is there a way to not have the kit price to be the sum of all the line items and to enter a separate price for the kit?  i.e. If the items can be ordered individually at a specific price but when kitted is at a discount.

See answer for #2

I would recommend you also reach out to your Customer Success Manager to help get any further clarifications to your questions.  Hope this was also helpful!

Beverly Dunn

Customer Success