4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 8:12 AM by AribaMax

Business practice on approval flow

Srini Varadarajan Master

Our policy requires signatures on SOW/ Contracts over $X. The business associate then routes a requisition in Ariba for approval and create a PO off the SOW.

Our challenge is to reduce the need for duplicate approvals and hence improve procurement cycle time.

Has anyone implemented a business process that addresses duplicate approvals?

• Re: Business practice on approval flow
          Deepak Sanghi Master

Srini,

If you already have a contract and the requisition is against the contract, then you can by-pass the approval flow for that requisition. The requisition will be auto-approved. If this is not what you wanted, please send me an email to my work (dsanghi@ariba.com) with your more detailed scenario and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Deepak Sanghi

P2P - Solution Manager, Ariba

AribaMax Master
            Our challenge is to reduce the need for duplicate approvals and hence improve procurement cycle time.

Has anyone implemented a business process that addresses duplicate approvals?

@Srini By "duplicate approvals", do you mean

1) multiple POs and approvals of the same SOW/Contract due to human error or

2) do you mean the appearance of same approver (or approver gorup) at multiple nodes in the approval flow of the same PO?

Srini Varadarajan Master

No. this is not a technical issue.

Business signs SOW's. SOW's are attached to Purchase requisitions and routed to same business for approvals again. The perception from business is that they are duplicating effort by signing a document and then approving another document for the same work request.

We are looking at opportunity to remove this duplication.

I agree that most vendors may not need physical signatures on a SOW as long as they are delivered electronically on an approved PO.

There's still the risk on high $ items as well as addressesing a few vendors who inisist on physical signatures.

AribaMax Master

Now, that's a different process from what I was thinking.

I am guessing that when you say that same Business (individual or group), who signed an SOW, is getting the requisition for their approval, they are being added as the system identified them to be the owners of the particular SOW. If they are being added for any other reason, you and I are ignoring as they don't qualify to be called as duplicate "approval" from the same Business.

Having idenitifed the business rule, let's move on to the process of signing SOWs. You mentioned that not all suppliers may want to have the physical signatures. Does it mean that in your Ariba application, not all suppliers have their SOWs signed by your Business?

If so, you can modify the Business rule so that Business are added only for their approval on SOWs attached if the SOW is not physically signed.This will eliminate the so called duplicate approval of the same SOW.

If all SOWs are physically signed, and Business think that they are doing a duplicate work by being added in the approval flow of the requisitions for them to approve the same SOWs they signed, this Business rule should not be kept at all.