3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 4:45 PM by Beverly Dunn

How to pull approval duration by approver from a contract approval task

Andy Garlington Journeyman

I can pull the entire duration by using the Project Task fact table.  I need the next level of data that shows the approval was approved by person X at 1:00, person Y at 3:00, etc. 

• Re: How to pull approval duration by approver from a contract approval task
          Beverly Dunn Master

Thanks for posting your question out to Exchange.  Currently there is not a way to report on that.

A potential work around might be:

Approval typically looks like this:

Approver ---> Approve ----> Approver ---> etc…where the system automatically submits from one approver to the next.

To capture how long an approval sits with each user, you need to have a different approval task for each approver.

So:

• ----> Approve
          • ----> Approve
          • ----> Approve

The downside is that the contract owner has to submit the task for each approver. So you set up the template so that one approval task is a predecessor for the next and so on, but the owner still has to submit for each level of approval after the previous approval was completed.

Sometimes this can work. As an example, maybe the business case isn’t that they need to see how long each approval took, but rather need to see how long it stayed with IT as an example. They could pull the IT part of the approval out and track it separately. I’ve seen a customer or two do this.