5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 7:54 AM by Brian Levow

Catalog sync

Efua Djan-Sampson Journeyman

Any one implemented the catalog sync functionality that can share some experiences ? How are catalog updates being currently handled ?

• Re: Catalog sync
          Brian Levow Master

Are you talking about the automatic downloading of catalog updates from the Network to Ariba (P2P in my case)?

• Catalog sync
            Brian Levow Master

That is how we have configured our system.  Suppliers load catalog updates to the network whenever they want to, or as instructed by our Procurement organization.  Those catalog updates are automatically downloaded from the Network by P2P on a scheduled basis, and route for approval.  Once approved, the changes are implemented in the system automatically, although there is sometimes a delay from the time the catalog is approved to the time it appears in the user interface.  Timing can range from a few minutes to a few hours.

Efua Djan-Sampson Journeyman

Good. This is how we are also wanting to approach it. The challenge is we have over 600 catalogs globally and want to use a phased approach i.e. set up maybe 20 suppliers in the csv file at a time. Although we set up only 20 in the csv file, when the job run, it downloaded all 1000's of catalogs on our ASN account and with an 'unknown supplier' SDU. This particularly because we found during testing that the catalog name (as provided by the supplier on the ASN) has to be consistent.Are all your suppliers following this requirement ? Another thing is since our catalogs span different regions, with different commodity manager approvals the central catalog manager group will have to manually add commodity approvers which is what we do today. Did you build an automatic approval flow or is it manually done ?

Brian Levow Master

I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything you're asking.  But let me take a shot.  We have approximately 70 catalogs in the U.S. and Canada.  Each catalog is loaded by the supplier on the network, and the catalog subscription name is recognized by our system and downloaded.  If a supplier changes the subscription name, it will cause an error and our technical team will have to re-map that "new" catalog to the proper supplier.  That does happen sometimes.  Instead of making an update to an existing catalog, a supplier may create a brand new catalog by mistake.  When the catalog is downloaded into our system, we have created custom groups that are used for approval routing.  There is a specific approval group created for every catalog we have so that we maintain flexibility over who that catalog gets routed to.  There is only one custom group on the workflow for all of our catalogs.  Once someone from that group approved the catalog, it goes live.  As for the "unknown supplier" issue, I've seen that several times, but it only happens once in a while with only one or two suppliers at a time that are random, and who aren't connected with us through a valid ASN relationship.  I'm not clear on what causes that.  I've pursued it a few times, but since it doesn't happen regularly, I haven't paid too much attention to it because of competing priorities.