4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 1:49 PM by Brenda Griesser

What happens if Ariba crashes?

Brenda Griesser Journeyman

I am in the midst of a compliance audit where I am attempting to convince our auditor that we don't need hardcopies of agreements which are loaded into Ariba.  I want to be prepared for the question he may ask me ---"What happens if Ariba crashes"?  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks.

• Re: What happens if Ariba crashes?
          Tim Fabiniak Master

I've not attempted to convince an auditor of this before, so I don't have any specific advice, but I will point you toward trust.ariba.com. This site has all of our security and data policies. Here, for example, is our policy regarding data security... (from http://www.ariba.com/legal/ODSLP09022009.cfm?)

Data Security. Transactions made using the Solution are initially stored in a database to prevent loss. All Customer Data resident on the systems is backed up daily. Backups are stored off-site at a secure third party location. Backups include Customer's registration and account information. The Solution receives periodic preventive maintenance. This preventive maintenance is scheduled for times outside of peak traffic periods. As applicable, transaction queues wait while maintenance occurs, and they resume processing when maintenance concludes. Only the organizations involved in a Transaction are permitted to see that Transaction, except to the extent Ariba is asked to debug a technical issue and needs to access a Transaction document. As applicable [1], the Solution runs redundant copies of all of the critical software subsystems related to Transaction routing. This redundancy enables fail-over in the event of an error so that disruption of the Solution is minimized.

Hope that helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Thanks so much Tim for your response.  I think this is great information!

Thank you.

Brenda Griesser

Contracts and Sales Administration Coordinator

Toll Free: 800-258-1946 X5191

Direct:      610-984-9191

FAX:         610-984-9068

Tim Fabiniak <dont-reply@exchange.ariba.com>

To:

Brenda Griesser <brenda.griesser@aesculap.com>

Date:

07/12/2012 10:40 AM

Subject:

New message: "What happens if Ariba crashes?"

Re: What happens if Ariba crashes?

created by Tim Fabiniak in Contract Management - View the full discussion

I've not attempted to convince an auditor of this before, so I don't have

any specific advice, but I will point you toward trust.ariba.com. This

site has all of our security and data policies. Here, for example, is our

policy regarding data security... (from

http://www.ariba.com/legal/ODSLP09022009.cfm?)

Data Security. Transactions made using the Solution are initially stored

in a database to prevent loss. All Customer Data resident on the systems

is backed up daily. Backups are stored off-site at a secure third party

location. Backups include Customer's registration and account information.

The Solution receives periodic preventive maintenance. This preventive

maintenance is scheduled for times outside of peak traffic periods. As

applicable, transaction queues wait while maintenance occurs, and they

resume processing when maintenance concludes. Only the organizations

involved in a Transaction are permitted to see that Transaction, except to

the extent Ariba is asked to debug a technical issue and needs to access a

Transaction document. As applicable , the Solution runs redundant

copies of all of the critical software subsystems related to Transaction

routing. This redundancy enables fail-over in the event of an error so

that disruption of the Solution is minimized.

Hope that helps!

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

Ariba Exchange

Start a new discussion in Contract Management by email or at Ariba

Exchange

Stay connected with us @

© 2011 Ariba, Inc., All Rights Reserved

Ariba, Inc., 910 Hermosa Court, Sunnyvale, CA, 94085, USA

Update Your Ariba Exchange Email Preferences

View our Privacy Policy

********************************************************************************

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be

attorney-client privileged, may constitute inside information, and is intended

only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of the company of the

sender of this e-mail. Unauthorized use, disclosure, or copying of this

communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately

by return e-mail and destroy this communication and all copies thereof,

including all attachments.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              verixar Novice

As a member of a two-man consultant team that provided technical support to users in a company implementing Ariba Sourcing and Contracts across business units in a number of countries, I can confirm due to extensive experience with Ariba crashing at the time we implemented it, that when Ariba crashes not much happens.  I have never had a user lose data that had been previously saved, due to an Ariba crash.   Some aspects of the way Ariba is built, and the way Ariba seems to function internally have both advantages and the occasional disadvantage.  One advantage is that  the architecture seems much more resilient compared to many other systems, thus protecting already saved data from crashes.  Ariba also seem to pay great attention to the security of customers' data.  However my advice would be that you probably do need to keep hard copies of signed contracts.  But once they have been uploaded I think it's fine to archive them perhaps offsite.

Thanks so much for your input below.

Brenda Griesser

Contracts and Sales Administration Coordinator

Toll Free: 800-258-1946 X5191

Direct:      610-984-9191

FAX:         610-984-9068

verixar <dont-reply@exchange.ariba.com>

To:

Brenda Griesser <brenda.griesser@aesculap.com>

Date:

07/12/2012 04:43 PM

Subject:

New message: "What happens if Ariba crashes?"

Re: What happens if Ariba crashes?

created by verixar in Contract Management - View the full discussion

As a member of a two-man consultant team that provided technical support

to a new installation of Ariba Sourcing and Contracts across business

units in a number of countries, I can confirm due to extensive experience

with Ariba crashing at the time we implemented it, that when Ariba crashes

not much happens.  I have never had a user lose data that had been

previously saved, due to an Ariba crash.   Some aspects of the way Ariba

is built, and the way Ariba seems to function internally have both

advantages and the occasional disadvantage.  One advantage is that  the

architecture seems much more resilient compared to many other systems,

thus protecting already saved data from crashes.  Ariba also seem to pay

great attention to the security of customers' data.  However my advice

would be that you probably do need to keep hard copies of signed

contracts.  But once they have been uploaded I think it's fine to archive

them perhaps offsite.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

Ariba Exchange

Start a new discussion in Contract Management by email or at Ariba

Exchange

Stay connected with us @

© 2011 Ariba, Inc., All Rights Reserved

Ariba, Inc., 910 Hermosa Court, Sunnyvale, CA, 94085, USA

Update Your Ariba Exchange Email Preferences

View our Privacy Policy

********************************************************************************

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be

attorney-client privileged, may constitute inside information, and is intended

only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of the company of the

sender of this e-mail. Unauthorized use, disclosure, or copying of this

communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately

by return e-mail and destroy this communication and all copies thereof,

including all attachments.