11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 6:34 AM by Adam Sobociński

Testing Custom PunchOut Catalog

Chris Walls Apprentice

First, I am an Ariba newbie.      We are looking to integrate our existing web application,  that allows buyers to purchase services, with Ariba.  Due to the custom nature of our services, we have determined that using a PunchOut catalog makes the most sense.  I am reviewing the cXML Solutions Guide and I've read a few other documents in the Ariba Production Documentation site.  I believe I have a test punchout catalog setup in our test account.  One of my initial questions is how can I work with this test catalog pointing it to a development version of our web site on my local machine?  It appears that SSL is required even in the test account.  Can I use a self-signed certificate? 

The existing web application that we will be integrating with is ASP.NET application written in C# running on IIS.

If this is not possible, how can I simulate cXML transactions being posted from Ariba to our application when we are developing our solution? 

Thanks,

Chris

• Re: Testing Custom PunchOut Catalog
          Carlos Moreno Journeyman

Hi Chris,

I am not sure I have got your question, but in your supplier account you have a tab called "Catalogs" where you have a catalog tester. All you have to do (if I got your question right) is to create a new "punchout only" catalog, enter the required data (mainly the punchout URL), and then click the Test button. You do not have to simulate anything - the tester creates a real PunchOutSetupRequest cXML document for you, and displays the PunchOutSetupResponse from the server being punched out.

Is that what you mean? Thanks.

Chris Walls Apprentice

I have a catalog setup in the manner you describe, but when I enter the Punchout URL, it needs to be HTTPS.   I would like to use the test button, etc. you described above but pointing the punchout URL to my workstation so I can debug code the that receives and parses the cXML, etc.  I can specify my workstation's public IP, but the SSL certificate I have installed is self-signed.  If you were to browse to my work station's web server, your web browser would warn you that my SSL certificate is untrusted and give you the option to continue.   So while I haven't tried this yet, I suspect Ariba will reject my self-signed SSL certificate.  So my question was how do other custom developers handle this?  What does Ariba recommend to handle this?

Thanks,

Chris

AribaMax Master

Chris,

Ariba Network will reject your self-signed SSL digital certificate.

In Ariba's exact words (instructions)::

"You can use a digital certificate issued by any issuing organization, however it must reference a

root certificate from a trusted Certificate Authority"

The trusted Certificate Authorities are:
                  ABAecom
                  AddTrust
                  American Express
                  ANX Network
                  Belgacom
                  BelSign
                  Deutsche Telekom AG
                  Digital Signature Trust Co.
                  Entrust
                  Equifax
                  GlobalSign
                  GoDaddy
                  GTE CyberTrust
                  National Retail Federation
                  Thawte
                  TrustCenter
                  United Parcel Service
                  U.S. Department of Defense
                  ValiCert
                  VeriSign

Hope this helps.

Chris Walls Apprentice

That is what I thought.  So this brings me back to my original question.  I need to write custom code on my workstation.  So if I can't install a SSL certificate on my local machine, how else can I either point Ariba to my workstation so I can test/debug the code or simulate cXML transactions from Ariba?   How do the other custom developers handle this?

I get the feeling there is something simple/significant that I may have overlooked somewhere.  I've read numerous PDF documents on Ariba catalogs, cXML, and punchout.  Maybe I skimmed over something important that is relevant to my question?

AribaMax Master

Though I too was hoping that someone else would say it's possible, someone whose organization has used their own signed digital certifcates to test the punch outs, apparently, it has not been done.

So, I thought of sharing my last piece of suggestion with you on this topic and if that would be of any help to you.

It makes sense for Ariba to dictate that for cXML communication, ASN would not accept any other certificate signed by an unrecognized Certificate Authority (CA), because of the following reasons:

1) The punchout is going to go through ASN; the server is not on the customer's or more specifically the developer's machine, and the trafiic is going through the internet. Had Ariba allowed a sort of vanila instance even for the ASN which customers can use on their local environments, it would have been possible to install any certifcate.

2) Since a "vanila" ASN does not exist, allowing customer's own digital certificate means Ariba should enter that CA on their trusted list of CAs for ASN to recognize it. If one customer's request has been accepted, that would open the flood gates and Ariba would not be able to keep on adding custom certificates.

In my experience, whenever we had to test punchouts, we always had a digital certificate from a trusted CA even on our test Unix servers. So, if you could work with your IT security team, you may be able to get one.

Or, you could search on the net for some sites that offer free trials (30 - 60 days) of digital certificates issued from well know CAs. I found some sites, but, I suggest you look them up yourself!

Finally, I found some resources on Ariba Connect, for setting up and testing end-to-end some sample punchout sites. I didn't go through the contents. Though, they are old resources, you should be able to get some idea from their implementation guide.

Here you go:

https://connect.ariba.com/AC_Content_Details_Page/1,,2_10319,00.html

https://connect.ariba.com/AC_Content_Details_Page/1,,2_10324,00.html

Regards,

Shashi

Chris Walls Apprentice

I don't disagree with any of that in terms of the production environment.  But when I'm in my test account and in test mode, I don't see a reason why SSL is required, of it's required for encryption purposes, then allow untrusted CAs, i.e. self-signed certs.  This is an existing Windows ASP.NET web application that is being extended to support the punch out process.  We don't put development tools on any of our servers, production or QA, for a variety of reasons.  We purchased an SSL certificate and setup DNS entries for my local workstation, so I think we're good.  We've integrated software with other large service providers before but this is the first time we've encountered SSL being required in a test mode, so it threw us off a bit.  We figured we were simply missing a configuration setting of some sort.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

- Chris

AribaMax Master

You said "But when I'm in my test account and in test mode, I don't see a reason why SSL is required..."

Well, doesn't that change the whole equation?

My understanding was that you would like to try out SSL but using your own digital certificate, and hence all those going-back-and-forth replies.

If you don't want to use SSL, you have to specify that your environment is a non-production one. I am not sure if you have taken care of the following parameters and values?

In config/Parameters.table:

System.Base.Production - false

System.Performance.SSLRPC - false

System.Base.ResourceURL - Set to a URL that starts with http

In <installation root>/shared/AppInfo.xml:

IncomingHttpServerURL - Set to a URL that starts with http

Finally, so that the punchouts or an ASN orders, when go through ASN, for ASN to know that it's meant for testing, ensure that the AribaNetworkId of the SupplierLocation set to <Network ID>-t

If you have done all of these steps, it should work.

Chris Walls Apprentice

I have no idea what you are referring to.  I am going through the Ariba supplier network, switching to a test account, and setting values in the electronic order routing / cXML setup section.  Even in test mode the cXML setup section requires HTTPS to be specified in the URL.  Remember - I'm an Ariba newbie.  I don't recall seeing any references to those parameters in any of the Ariba documents I've read.

Now that I have a valid SSL certification pointing to a domain name that is in turn pointing to my work station, I'm able to have the Ariba test network post the cXML to my local work station now.  I can read the xml and Ariba is redirecting to my punch out order page, so this is working for now.

- Chris

Adam Sobociński Newbie

Hi,

I am a newbie in terms of Ariba Network integration. I have just found this thread and I wanted to get more information about that part:

Shashikanta Irungbam wrote:

If you don't want to use SSL, you have to specify that your environment is a non-production one. I am not sure if you have taken care of the following parameters and values?

In config/Parameters.table:

System.Base.Production - false

System.Performance.SSLRPC - false

System.Base.ResourceURL - Set to a URL that starts with http

In <installation root>/shared/AppInfo.xml:

IncomingHttpServerURL - Set to a URL that starts with http

Finally, so that the punchouts or an ASN orders, when go through ASN, for ASN to know that it's meant for testing, ensure that the AribaNetworkId of the SupplierLocation set to <Network ID>-t

If you have done all of these steps, it should work.

Could You please specify where this configuration from quotation should be setup ? I don't see any of these points in my Ariba Network Seller account. Although it looks like it is some kind of web application configuration (ASP.NET?). I am developing my web application in PHP.

I would be very greatful for your answer.

Thank You,

Adam

Brady Behrman Expert

punchout-portal-send-punchout-launch.pngIronically, today we (PunchOut2Go) launched our Procurement emulator which simulates, tests, validates and allows you to visualize the punchout process. Take a look at http://www.punchout2go.com/punchout-catalogs/punchout-catalog-emulator-test-suite/ . Also, instead of trying to develop the punchout integration natively, you can implement our gateway which would deal with any variances from various procurement systems. More details on the PunchOut2Go Gateway Integration can be found at http://www.punchout2go.com/punchout-catalogs/punchout2go-gateway-integration/ .

Thank you,

Brady Behrman

PunchOut2Go

(757)271-8293

http://www.punchout2go.com