Data Archiving and Purging for Contracts and Sourcing is a planned feature for the Ariba 9r2 release (scheduled for Q1 2014). The "purging" aspect of the feature will accomplish the eDestruction use case -- purged documents will be completely removed from the Ariba system (with the option to archive that data to a non-Ariba system if necessary).
The use case that you've provided regarding "retention tag/retention date" functionality would be addressed by the feature as well. Configuration of the archive/purge rules will allow businesses to define rules that determine what is archived and when it is archived, allowing for a "sliding window" for the archive/purge process. The functionality would also offer a preview of archive/purge candidates that can be reviewed prior to the archive/purge taking place.
On-Demand does not have an archive/purge feature at this time, although I know it has been discussed in detail and is under consideration for a future release.
We will be providing much more information regarding this feature (and many other features) during the 9r2 feature discussions that will be occurring in early 2013.
I was wondering if you had any updates pertaining to 9r2. Is it still on track for Q1 2014?
I've also heard that the letter "r" indicates that it's only for Ariba instances that are installed on the customer's server and that the letter "s" indicates that it's for the SaaS version. If that's the case, will these records management enhancements be available for customers who use the SaaS version?
Hi Bob, I have been asked to write up a CRD (Customer Requirements Document) about records retention / purge capabilities. Thus far, I have drafted the following key points and I welcome your input on these requirements:
- The ability for all data and attachments to be purged & destroyed in such a manner that it cannot be recovered or discovered following destruction.
- A configurable workflow which will route to a person(s) or group(s) within X days of the pending destruction/purge date and reminders every Y days thereafter.
- The ability to “save” or “rescue” a record/data from the automated/scheduled purge date.
- The ability to set predefined rules for a purge date to be automatically applied (e.g. X months/years following the Expiration Date of a contract, or Y months/years following the Closing Bid Date on a sourcing event, or Z months/years following an SPM survey).
- The ability for an Owner or Administrator to modify the purge date up until the date itself.
- There should be reporting which will allow administrators and Owners of these records to see what purges are upcoming over the next few months/ quarters/ years.
- The option to transfer those records to a portable media for “offline” storage when/if needed (e.g. for a record which is part of an active litigation or investigation).
I’ll take a look and ask others at AZ for input as well.
I am not sure if this has progressed but one option would be for Ariba to leverage the CMIS integration standard to offload this challenge to an ECM platform - who have such information management capabilities as table stakes ( core capabilities ).
SAP have a strong relationship with OpenText , so it remains unclear as to why this has not been progressed or even the basic CMIS hooks so that customers can use any ECM platform of their choosing