14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 10:19 AM by David Morel

How can I print supplier responses?

Simon Miller Apprentice

Probably a simple answer but how the hell can I print all responses to review?

I might be stupid, but it should be as plain as day to do.

Thanks.

• Re: How can I print supplier responses?
          David Morel Master

Well, first, you can review in the UI without printing. If you feel like you need to review offline, you can use the Question and Terms report or the Bids Report to generate an excel sheet with all the information.  Also, you can use the Table Export to Excel options on the content page, but that is limited to only the displayed responses.  If you have trouble using any of these options, feel free to contact Support. David Morel

Neil Campbell Expert

Simon,

Did you get a good solution?, I have a similar situation and my only known option is Excel which i am finding to have limitations.

Ariba, I'd be interested to know what best practice is particularly when an offline review is required and also what to do when dealing with multiple attachments in complex events.

Thanks Neil

Simon Miller Apprentice

Unfortunately not, Neil.

Excel is not a great way to do it but it's the best option currently.

Needless to say this is another hurdle to adoption here.

David Morel Master

What is wrong with the Question and Terms report? It is designed to be used to compare responses. The only negative is the limitation of excel's cell capacity. But for comparing responses side by side it is ideal.  The Grading UI was updated recently to provide a very nice environment to compare responses in the UI and it does allow the for grading offline in excel, including exporting of attachments. I would be interested in your idea for a better solution. In a Word or PDF output you can't put responses side by side, so you would have to have the responses one after each other.  I am definitely open to ideas and feedback, so let me know what you are looking for.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Neil Campbell Expert

Appreciate all the challenges David and I like the UI for online grading and it provides excellent flexibility.  The thing is that a number of our Exec Sponsors still like the idea of looking at responses in a more tradtional format.  I find in when used in isolation the the "Q&T report" and the "download all attachments" functions are really good. The challenge is marrying the attached documents to the questions in the Excel format and it was this I was looking for discussion on. However, now I have worked through it a few times I have a way forward which I think will work and actually think is reasonably elegant. 

If I was to suggest some subtle improvements they would be

1. In the download all attachments function, reference the question ID to which the attached file relates.

2. In the Questions and Terms report, auto-format the cell which has an attachment in it so it is clear that a file needs to be looked at.  (I can do this using conditional formatting on file extensions eg/ .pdf)

3. Pre-format the Excel file to collapse into individual sections to mirror the RFP report so it doesn't look so huge and section by section can be clearly reviewed. (I can do this manually using sub-total function)

These 3 things would make referencing files against answers easier.

Thoughts?

Cheers Neil

David Morel Master

Neil...good suggestions. One of the items that we are adding to the 14s1 Feature Survey is related tot his. I will expand it to include the suggested improvements.

Erik Boyd Newbie

Hi David,

I was wondering if Ariba has done anything since the fall of 2013 to make a side by side analysis of vendors' responses any better for offline analysis? 

Also, it may be better to open a new thread, but my firm would like to know if there is any way to possibly limit the number of characters to an answer?  We understand that the answer type has three free form text options A) Text (Single line limited) B) Text (single line) C) Text (Multiple lines) but many answers require too many characters for options A and B so we are forced to use option C.  The issue with option C is that there is no limit to the number of characters for a response and respondents seem to run on and on.  This causes a major issue when exporting into MS Excel (the only option for side-by-side analysis of responses) as the cell can only show partial responses due to display limitations of MS Excel.

Do any other firms have the same issue when trying to create a side by side analysis exported from Ariba into Excel?  How do you work around this issue?

Thank you for your help.

-Erik  

Neil Campbell Expert

The way we do the side by side analysis off line is use the "Grade offline in Excel" option at the team grading stage. This is quite good but it does need a bit of manual intervention to make the formatting look better, but I think it is a lot better than it used to be.

In terms of number of characters, that would be a nice feature as we run into the same issue as well. We have resorted to asking suppliers to limit the words in their answers but this is jsut an instruction rather than having any system control.

David Morel Master

Erik,  There are various event reports that can be used for comparison purposes. Each have advantages depending upon the type of content to be compared.  See below for some examples:

1. Comparing question responses - Grading UI and excel export is ideal for this.  We have recently added the ability to export all supplier responses in PDF in a format similar to Word.  This doesn't allow for a side by side comparison, but reading longer responses are a lot nice than in excel. Also, it supports the full response!
                                    2. Comparing Price responses - The UI does a good job for comparing the prices, but we also have the Bids Report available in the Event Reports. It is an excel sheet with all the received bids and provides a pivot table for analysis capabilities.  The most powerful way to compare pricing is via the Optimization engine in Ariba.