6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 11:36 AM by Ken Rosehart

Space usage in ACM

reshma.rav Expert

Hi,

We create separate contract workspaces for Master Agreements and Amendments. Do you think we will end up using a lot of space by doing this?

Thanks

Reshma D.

• Re: Space usage in ACM
          Ken Rosehart Expert

I suppose this would depend on how many Agreements and Amendments you have.  I am curious to know why you create a new contract workspace for each contract amendment.  Contract workspaces and documents use versioning to manage changes each respectively. 

When making a contract amendment we simply amend the contract workspace (which creates a new version of the workspace) and select reason/type of amendment.  Users edit the workspace overview/attributes and create new folders on the document tab for each ammendment.  Documents related to a specific amendment are stored in these folders.  Users also update the main agreement document and contract terms as necessary and save these as a new version. 

Previous versions of the workspace/documents are automatically maintained in the version history.  These can be viewed at any time.

We are also currently working on custominzing our analysis reporting module so that we can report on previous versions of a contract workspace (for example we want to know the delta amounts and award dates of each amendment).  OOTB reporting only includes the current version of the workspace.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Soren Thaysen Expert

A while ago I found and interesting round-table discussion from Ariba Live 2014 US on the topic of how to use amendments: http://www.slideshare.net/Ariba/amending-contracts-in-ariba-a-best-practices-approach?qid=4366af1b-48ee-4465-806f-2a660b5c3dd7&v=qf1&b=&from_search=1

I can to some degree see the logic of seperately registering amendments a workspaces, but I personally believe in the approach that Ken is also using - which is the way the system is designed to be working.

Ken, I would be very interested in hearing how you expect to be able to report on amendments, since this is a topic that I have also looked at previously, but without success.

Ken Rosehart Expert

Hello Soren,

We have currently implemented a customized solution in the downstream that allows us to report on changes between versions of a requisition.  For example, business required the ability to report on the delta amount from one version of a requisition to the next. Generally speaking this involved creating a custom Analysis requisition fact (that is a copy of the OOTB fact) with custom measures and dimensions.  Analysis OOTB only reports on the current version of the requisition.  These customizations allow us to report on every version of the requisition in the same manner we report on the current version.  It also provides us with delta amounts between versions.  Common reports inlude Amendment Amount, Amendment Award Date, Amendment Reason for each version of a given requisition.

We are planning to create other custom facts in both downstream and upstream (for contract workspace amendment reporting). 

So as not to hijack this thread, I would be happy to take this discussion to another thread if you wish to discuss it further.

Ken

reshma.rav Expert

Thanks Ken,

This is useful.

But could what could be the use of the "Create Follow-on Project" option? Because we use this option to link our Amendments with the Master Agreements.

Thanks

Reshma D.

Ken Rosehart Expert

Hello Reshma,

The main benefit of using Follow-on projects (and subprojects) is that fields can be automatically passed from the predecessor/parent project to the follow-on project (you can define what fields are passed).  This is also a good example of how Ariba can help improve process efficiencies (our goal is to have users only enter the same data once and only once.  If it is shared across multiple objects (requisitions, Orders, Workspaces, contract terms) then the application should automate this sharing in some fashion).

We do not use follow-on projects but we do use sub-projects.  The two are very similar in function. For example when we have a sourcing event that results in multiple contract awards, a workspace for each contract is created as a subproject of the parent sourcing project.  Doing this automatilly pushes all of the contract fields from the parent to the subprojects that share the exact same data.  This saves users having to enter this contract data in the workspace a second time (and possiblly making an error).

Ken

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    Leslie Martensen Master

Both Ken and Soren have given very sound advice as well as passing along the discussion from Ariba Live. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Leslie Martensen