9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 6:25 AM by Ken Rosehart

How to de-link library clause in a ACW Template?

Sanjay Bansal Apprentice

Hello,

We are using library clauses in our ACW contract template. We need to de-link some of library clauses and make them adhoc. We have tried few things but the library clause linkage is not going away. Has anyone faced similar issue? If yes, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sanjay

• Re: How to de-link library clause in a ACW Template?
          Leslie Martensen Master

If you make any changes to the word document on the template it should break the link to the clause library unless you have approvals on changes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Ken Rosehart Expert

Hello Sanjay,

Our organization recently rolled out clause library functionality to a limited number of users.  The experience has not been without its challenges and the user experience mixed to say the least.  I would like to hear about your experiences, the challenges you have faced and the approach you took to overcome them and the overall impression of the clause library functionality.  In turn I would be happy to share our experiences and lessons learned with you.  I believe this discussion would be of great interest to the user community. Clause library threads appear to be quite popular.

Sanjay Bansal Apprentice

Hello Ken,

Apologies for delayed response.

We also had some challenges during our implementation. Some of the issues we faced are due to limitations of the product.

1. Generic Script Error - We have so many conditional clauses in the contract so after initial generation if the uses changes contract attributes or template questions in a way that leads to a certain threshold of clause changes in contract, we get generic script error on contract re-generation and we don't have a way to fix it. The only option is to scrap the current CW and create a brand new CW.

2. Clause Library Migration Issues - Ariba doesn't have a way to migrate the clause library incrementally from one environment to another. So if we only change one clause in the library, we can't simply migrate that single clause from one environment to another. We will have to migrate the entire library.

I hope this helps. I would like to hear about your experience also.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Ken Rosehart Expert

Hi Sanjay,

I would have to say that bookmarks and style mapping have caused the most problems for our users.The majority of our contract clauses are not static.  It is quite common for users to edit clause text.  We found that editing clauses in an assembled document requires a knowledge of MS Word (bookmarking) that most users do not have.  Users would accidently remove/add bookmarks while editing and then spend a considerable amount of time trying to fix them so the document could be assembled.  Often this would result in the user having to start all over with a new document.

We also found that style maps were not applied consistently and users would have to spend time manually correcting the formatting (which we trying to reduce by using the clause library functionality) in the first place.

Rogue bookmarks also began to appear in the assembled document whenever we edited the contract template and saved as a new version.  These bookmarks were added by the system and would negatively impact the document style mapping/outline view display.  Admin users would spend a large amount of time removing the rogue bookmarks after each template edit.