6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 10:42 PM by Rudraksha Ganguly

Role of Ariba functional consultant

Anubhav Jain Apprentice

Dear Experts,

I just started going through some Ariba documents and it appears that for On Demand solutions most of the tasks from deploying the required packages to small changes like making fields mandatory are done by support executives from Ariba. I see these line a lot " have your Designated Support Contact log a service request and an Ariba Customer Support representative will contact you.". I understand that user administration, workflow rules etc are duties of Admin at the customer end.

What are the responsibilities and deliverable of functional consultants working on Ariba from Partner companies?

Thanks,

Anubhav

• Re: Role of Ariba functional consultant
          Rajesh Dange Novice

Hello,

please reply to Anubhav Jain's post.

Ben Cooper Expert

Hi Rajesh/Anubhav,

Much like any IT system implementation project, the solution needs to be designed. This means talking to the business process team, identifying the objectives, assessing current pain points, documenting the functional specifications (and tech specs if there is integration to other systems) etc. The Build process is in my experience collaborative between Ariba and the partner/consultant. Ariba project resources are most often in a different country; as the partner you are closest to the client so personally, I like to configure much of the system myself (I find Ariba projects work better in a blend of waterfall/Agile, but this is just my opinion). There are certain things that we cannot do (e.g. custom fields), as they have implications on the Ariba back-end, e.g. database structure. The functional consultant needs to test the solution (in conjunction with system users) and will often be responsible for training users.

This is just a very quick summary. There is much for the functional consultant to do. Above all they must understand how the system is used and configured, similar to SAP functional consultants.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ben

www.dyflex.com.au

Rudraksha Ganguly Novice

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the Reply on above Post! Can you Quickly Clarify on below Points:

1) Mandatory Skills required for working on SAP Ariba skill( like SAP MM/Java) ?Is Knowledge of JAVA is mandatory to integrate SAP and Ariba or Troubleshoot any issues? which Part of Ariba Java knowledge is required?

2) When you say Functional Ariba Consultant, likewise MM Functional Consultant, we are aware of all SPRO Config Screens along with Providing Logic for Custom Enhancements. So for Ariba there will surely be Some Configuration, which we must be aware of along with that is it not Flexible to Provide Customer Specific Solutions (Custom Tables/Fields) or RICEFW Objects.

Ben Cooper Expert

Java skills not required for Ariba Functional Consultant. SAP MM functional skills are a very good background though. There's no RICEFW concept in Ariba as it's a cloud based application - you can't customise the core functionality. You can adjust settings in the Administration panel (probably the closest thing to the SAP SPRO), but this is more to do with enabling/disabling a feature rather than customising the application. It's also handy to know about the site parameters. Parameters are things that Ariba Support turn on and off, i.e. they cannot be changed from the Administration panel, but they can impact the functionality quite significantly.

Technical consultant should know integration methods, i.e. web services, cXML, IDOCs, Ariba ITK, SAP RFC's, Function Modules/BAPIs, ABAP etc. etc.

Cheers,

Ben

aslam mahammad Newbie

ARIBA Experts,

Where can i get the documents like SAP ARIBA Integration ,P2P,P2O &AN

Regards,

MD Aslam,

Rudraksha Ganguly Novice

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your Prompt response on my above mentioned Post!

Really Appreciate your Prompt response!

1) Presently in the Market, I will rather say as per the Trend, Consulting Firms are recruiting Ariba Consultants(Not Specifically Functional Consultants/Technical Consultants). If it is Ariba Consultants, Expectation is What? To Know (Functional things,Concepts,Acronyms, Configurations, and also Technical integration methods, i.e.( web services, cXML, IDOCs, Ariba ITK, SAP RFC's, Function Modules/BAPIs, ABAP etc)?

2) Can you help me in getting Documentation of Ariba Functional PTP /PTO/ AN Configuration, Ariba ITK Integration Tool Kit,

Cheers!

Rudraksha