5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 12:00 AM by Vilas Swamy

Remove/delete an item from a cart with Level 2 punchout?

gknoettner Novice

We are building Level 2 (i.e. product level) punchout into our supplier application. We've run into a challenge with no solution in the Ariba's documentation. Specifically, after we return an OrderMessage that populates the Ariba cart with an item, what if the buyer decides they do not want the item? How do they remove it from Ariba and how is that communicated back to the supplier system? While we find Ariba supports "edit" and "inspect" setup requests for punching back into an item, there is no "delete" request. A little background might help here. In our punchout architecture, we are populating a cart in our application that mirrors the cart generated in Ariba. In order to keep them in sync,we need a way to remove items from our cart. But in Level 2 punchout, the buyer never sees the supplier cart (only the Ariba cart). Unfortunately, using an "edit" request and setting the item quantity to zero (0) does not work in our application - all quantities must by >= 1. Perhaps when items are removed from the Ariba cart, they are simply not included in the OrderRequest communication, which should be our signal to remove any missing items from our cart?

Anyone out there run into this before? Have I missed an Ariba cXML communication that does this?

Thanks!

-Greg

• Re: Remove/delete an item from a cart with Level 2 punchout?
          Vilas Swamy Master

Hi Greg,

What you are describing your problem is actually a required functionality, what if the Buyer wanted to change Quantity after they have selected the Item with some other quantity while selecting the item. I know this does not solve your problem in anyway but just wanted your attention on that scenario if you have not already thought of. Please ignore otherwise.

Regards

Vilas

gknoettner Novice

Hi Vilas, thanks for the quick response. Yes, we actually do support changing the order quantity through use of the "edit" POSR. It punches the user right back into the product where they can adjust the quantitiy, as well as other product options. However, we do not support setting the quantity to zero (0) in our application. If the buyer wants to delete/remove an item already added, they do that by hitting a "remove" link on the item in the supplier cart. But with Level 2, they never see the supplier cart.

Are you saying that is the only way to do it through an "edit" POSR and set the quantity = 0?

Cheers,

-Greg

Vilas Swamy Master

Hi Greg,

With level 2 the following process exist and if you could let me know in which step you are when you say "How do they remove it from Ariba and how is that communicated back to the supplier system?" in your initial comments

Step 1: End user accessed Ariba

Step 2: End user searches for item across catalog (from all suppliers) available within Ariba (as this is Level 2)

Step 3: Level 2 Punchout to supplier to validate current price and availability of selected item

Step 4: Completed shopping cart is brought back to Ariba

So if you see till the Step 3 is triggered everything happens in Ariba and users can edit local cart(Within Ariba) and all editing will still pass through Step 3 validation which is done by the Supplier site on Price and Item availability which is indirectly covers quantity validation also.

If my understanding is correct, before step 3 initiation you still have the delete option for end user in edit cart so there would not arise a situation where you send qty

Zero to vendor site to check availability.

If this isn't the case then "edit" POSR and set the quantity = 0 looks the only immediate option. Nevertheless thanks for asking this question and please update me on how you finally closed this.

Regards

Vilas

1 of 1 people found this helpful