8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 6:18 AM by Debbie Curtis-Magley

Printed and Signed PO Requirement In Italy?

Brian Levow Master

We are looking to roll out P2P in Italy, and our Italian office is saying that it is a legal requirement that all Italian purchase orders must be printed out and hand-signed before being issued to a supplier.  I'd be interested in hearing from any company that is using P2P in Italy about whether you have encountered such a thing.  Thanks a lot.

• Re: Printed and Signed PO Requirement In Italy?
          Peter White Journeyman

Hi Brian,

That doesn't sound accurate to me unless you are subject to some kind of industry specific regulation.  I'm based in Milan and have worked on indirect procurement solutions with a number of large clients who are perfectly happy sending POs to suppliers via email and cXML.

Thanks,
          Peter

Debbie Curtis-Magley Master

Hi Brian:

Max Agostinoni with the Ariba team provided the following guidance to your question:

At Ariba, we’ve addressed this question before with customers. We explain that in Italy, regulations for electronic documents (such as POs and/or invoices) describe different models about the content and recipients. Capturing a digital signature on a PO is one example.  Another example is to have a set of agreed processes and procedures, between customer and supplier, to manage this exchange. The Ariba Network is a set of established rules, accepted by all parties and this is enough for a litigation trail.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Debbie Curtis-Magley

Ariba Exchange Community Manager

Brian Levow Master

Debbie, thanks so much.  This is very helpful.  I do have a follow-up question however.  I understand that when both the buyer and seller agree to the terms of the Ariba Network, that is sufficient for a litigation trail.  Ariba, however, offers a functionality called “Quick Enablement”.  This feature allows a buying organization to send a PO across the network to a supplier WITHOUT the supplier agreeing to the terms of use of the site.  Agreeing to the terms of use, or “taking ownership”, is only mandated once the spend and transaction counts go over the chargeable threshold for the Network fees.    How would that scenario be covered under Italian law?

Vilas Swamy Master

Hi Brian,

Even through quick enablement the supplier has to go through and/or has gone through the registration and can only proceed once he has agreed to Ariba Network standard Terms and Conditions to complete registration to be able to transact.

Regards

Vilas

Brian Levow Master

That isn’t true.  The network will deliver a PO to a supplier’s email address automatically, without any supplier involvement at all, until the document and spend counts exceed 5/$50,000USD.  The supplier has the OPTION to log in an accept the terms of use of the AN up until that point, but it isn’t required.

Vilas Swamy Master

Hey Brian,

Those limits are for free membership and post these the supplier will have to pay for being able to transact. The registration process is not an exception to any subscription type to Ariba Network. Can you please help me with the link to details that you are referring to when you say "The network will deliver a PO to a supplier’s email address automatically", I think this should happen outside the network not through Ariba Network.

Regards

Vilas

Brian Levow Master

I don’t have a link that I can share with you.  We quick enable almost all suppliers we transact with today, so this is a statement of fact through years of experience.  I agree that the network is free before those limits are reached and a paid service after they are crossed.  During the period that the network is free, vendors can accept the terms of use of the site if they want to, but they are not required to log into the network at all during that period if they have been quick enabled.  The AN will route orders to the supplier based on the email address or fax number that was in the supplier record in P2P.  If you have any further insight, I’d be happy to talk by phone.  Let me know.

Debbie Curtis-Magley Master

Hi Brian:

I'm still waiting to receive additional guidance for your question. If you haven't done so already, it may be best to contact your CEE for further assistance.

Debbie