6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 3:55 AM by Hari Babu Krishnan

Information Management and Ariba Contracts Management

Ian Jamieson Apprentice

Many organisations have prescribed retention and disposal periods for retaining contract documents i.e. 15 year retention beyond the contract terminate date.

How are such documents preserved within Ariba, what legal hold / records management facilities exist? Or does an organisation like my own need to externalize the documents (outside of Ariba) to achieve such an outcome? Are there technical options in this regard?

I would certainly value any input on the above based on other customer experiences

Thanks in advance

Ian

• Re: Information Management and Ariba Contracts Management
          Ian Daniel Novice

Hi Ian,

We have exactly the same question, and would be interested to hear anything you find out.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian Jamieson Apprentice

Thanks Ian

Whilst I'd be happy to be wrong, but I suspect I already know the answer I.e. that there are no facilities. To some extent this is not surprising in that it was never a core competency for Ariba

That said, the CMIS standard has been available for many years, so there is little basis for not addressing this requirement through enabling such an integration. This would obviate the need for Ariba to invest further in such facilities , but also avoid customers having to have compensatory business processes to manage such information to meet their respective regulatory, legal and audit obligations.

One option, if nothing is already in place or under development, is to leverage SAP's very extensive partnership with OpenText where there are productised and cross-sold offerings using OpenText Content Server ( which supports CMIS) . Likewise CMIS support would provide Ariba customers with a myriad of ECM options outside of the SAP/OpenText ecosystem e.g. EMC Documentum, IBM FileNet, HiLand etc

I can only hope that there is an Ariba reply at some stage

Regards

Ian

Hari Babu Krishnan Master

Hi Ian,

We are aware of the need to have the functionality for retention / Archival and Purge of the documents in the application. It is an important item for us to address and is in our Roadmap. On a side note, today we have the facility to ‘soft delete’ projects in the system. That should help the customers in removing the expired / old projects from the system.

Hari

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Ian Jamieson Apprentice

Thanks Hari

When you say it's on the roadmap , what does this mean in practical (commited) terms, from the other discussions I have seen in this forum it seems to have been on the backlog for quite some time already. Is there a specific / detailed Contracts Management roadmap that can be shared?

Also - the purging of information I.e. Disposition( if done in a defensible fashion - defensible normally means there is a structured / audit able process) is one thing ( and useful ) but it would likely be more effective if customers could apply an information management lifecycle (policy) either within Ariba or (better) have the facility to externalise this and achieved via ECM integration

It may be that Ariba supports web services that could help facilitate this , but I have no such information at my disposal so I can't confirm either way. CMIS is a well established industry standard and SAP also have a strong relationship with the likes of OpenText ( as one ECM option ). CMIS support would give customers the most flexibility and effectively offload this from Ariba.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Ian